What is the best, fastest, painless way to draw out a splinter?

My 2-year-old won't sit still or let me near his finger without a screaming fit, but it looks like there is a splinter lodged in there.

samiam828

Asked by samiam828 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know your hoping to hear something different but I would just tire him out and wait til he falls fast asleep on his own and then go in for the kill...lol and use a tweezer. The bad thing is if the splinter is lodged in too deep you might have to dig in there with the tip of a needleand then tweeze it out or just go to the doctor. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I've never tried it but I've heard that if you put some glue on there and let it dry you can peel it off and the splinter will come right out.
    Anonymous

• I was going to say the glue thing too, if there's any tiny part of it sticking out. Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Put some baby orajel on it it will numb the area then he wont have any pain
    twogirlsandmore

Answer by twogirlsandmore at 6:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• soak it in warm water until its soft and it will come right out!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 7:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• For us it was a 2-man operation involving a needle. If you don't have a SO with you, you may want to enlist the help of a friend or see if you can get a nurse's appt at your pediatrician's office. (We did try the soaking thing -- it was way in there).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Try tweezers next time.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• id try the water thing 1st, my little one touched a cactus and had a bunch of it in her hand,i had to wait until she feel asleep to tweeze them out,u could try using tape....?
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• i forgot to add,use poroxiod it will bubble it out a bit berfor u tweeze it,thats what i did for the cactus thing
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• There is a 'drawing salve' that you can get behind the counter at the pharmacy. Right now the name escapes me, but just ask the pharmacist for it and they'll know exactly what you are asking for.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2010