What kind of nipple to use?

Today the pediatrician told me to add 1 tablespoon of rice cereal to 1 bottle, the problem is my one month old seems to have problems sucking it out of the nipple.

Talonsmama2310

Asked by Talonsmama2310 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you should find a new doctor. That's a MAJOR choking hazard, especially for a baby so young. The child could easily aspirate and have that crap get into his lungs. Not to mention that it'll most likely constipate him and can cause major gas and upset tummies.
    Anonymous

• ... get a new ped asap
    Anonymous

• yours
    Anonymous

• why did he recommend this? please dont do it!
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 6:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• The pediatrician told me to add the cereal because my baby is having symptoms of acid reflux..
    Talonsmama2310

Answer by Talonsmama2310 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Did the ped suggest anything else? Like changing formula or relactation for breastmilk first? Feeding in a more upright position? Smaller more frequent feeds? Keeping the baby more upright (not totally vertical) after a feed? Tummy positioning?

Rice cereal should be the last resort because not only is it a choking hazard in a bottle, but it makes the baby consume LESS calories because it takes up space.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• my ped. changed my daughters formula for the reflux problem. The cereal constipates them :( and its so horible! we found out that it was reflux and she was allergic to cow and soy milk! They put her on Nutramegin formula....
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 9:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• get a new doc. cereal at that age is bad for their gut as well as a choking hazard. Reflux is an allergy. DD had it if I ate dairy or wheat(I breastfeed). * heatherjenea gave great advice. Another thing that can do wonders for infant reflux is chiropractic care
    Anonymous

• I believe that latex nipples are the best if you need to enlarge the holes. Silicone will crack easily. That is as long as your LO does not have latex allergy. My son loves his bottles with latex nipples. He hates silicone. The latex ones conform to his mouth shape much better than the firmer silicone. Just take a clean needle and poke a hole in the latex nipple. Tip the bottle over and see if the milk drips out, very very slowly. Or suck it yourself to test it... I know it tastes horrible. You don't want the flow to be too fast for a 1 month old baby. I believe there's other ways to help reflux, though.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:57 AM on Mar. 6, 2010