Do you need to use Nursery water to mix Formula?

Do you have to use nursery water, or is tap ok? I have well water and keep forgetting to ask the pediatrician when i went. Any suggestions?

Talonsmama2310

Asked by Talonsmama2310 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nursery water has fluoride added which is the whole point of using it if your water source does not have it. City tap water is fine to use because it has fluoride already in it. Well water does not. Fluoride is essentially for enamel development on teeth. If you child consumed absolutely NO fluoride, they would have soft tooth enamel, leading to dental problems. This is why cities began adding fluoride to tap water. It is not necessary to boil tap water unless it is contaminated. As long as you use general good hygiene practices when preparing a bottle (clean bottles, nipples, hands), its not necessary to boil anything.
    Anonymous

• No you don't have to use Nursery water to mix with formula.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Nursery water is a waste of money. I used the water out of our charcoal filter from our fridge.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 6:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• You are feeding your kid formula, I'm sure it doesn't matter how many contaminants are in your water.
    Anonymous

• Since you are using well water you might need to get it tested to be sure it is safe. My pediatrician said water in a city that is certified safe for public use is fine, but if your water isn't from a publicly monitored supply you might want to stick with bottled water or have it tested.

Anonymous

• I'm not sure I breast feed, but I have a friend that formula fed and she just used boiled well water. I don't know if that's the right way but that's what she did.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• We have always used Nursery Water w/ both my kids. to 504 get a life and get over yourself! Why do you have to be so rude and disrespectful?
    Anonymous

• I use bottled water. Because we dont even drink the city water! LOL... But yeah I would use some kind of filter. Good Luck! :)
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 9:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• "You are feeding your kid formula, I'm sure it doesn't matter how many contaminants are in your water. "

GET OVER YOURSELF!!! This is NOT abuse, she is not starving the baby or beating it! Formula is not the devil, you Mother's who think you are high and mighty because you only breastfed need to come down from your high horse. She asked a simple question!
    I do use nursery water because of the fluoride in it, you can get other bottled water with it in but i dont know if i would trust the well water.... just my opinion though. :o)
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Some mothers do not have a choice about formula, and it is the mothers choice. I use to use nursery water or distiled.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010