WHY is it frightening that...

When you die, you simply cease?

That the things you do in life count, not the things you do to work toward an "afterlife"?

How could the reality of simply not existing anymore, be frightening to someone?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 6:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• isnt it obvious though? the thought that one day there MIGHT not be anything?
    Anonymous

• I don't think people like the idea of not existing. I know I don't, and I believe exactly as you do.
    It saddens me that one day, my mind will just go blank and I will cease to see, hear, feel, think...
    Anonymous

• It's all Ego - it's whole purpose is to protect itself, and by saying that, you're saying the EGO ceases, which to the Ego seems like a yawning chasm of void and must be avoided at all costs. The Ego is all about avoiding obliteration, in whatever form. I often joke with my atheist friend who says, "Why religion??" that "how else can we get our Egos to survive our deaths???" and it's really kind of true, particularly in beliefs that focus heavily on the Ego. My personal take (agnostic on the topic of Afterlife, BTW) is that even if some aspect of ourselves (our Spirit) is some kind of immortal, the Ego - the part of ourselves we recognize and think of as our Selves - absolutely does NOT so either way: we aren't taking that Self with us. The Me that would go on to an Afterlife is not the Me that I know or imagine existing in the Afterlife. So it's kind of moot, in that sense.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My father was talking the other day, and saying that while it's hard to wrap the brain around (simply not BEING any more) he didn't exist before he existed, and whatever it is, he's going back to that state... and he doesn't remember feeling really bad about not existing before he existed -- so he figures after he stops existing, it will be the same thing. :-) (He's also agnostic about an afterlife.)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• i guess there is a fear because there is so much going on in this lifetime, why not experience something else when we die. I am still not quite sure what I believe. part of me believes when we die....we no longer exisit, much like before we were born. But on the other hand, part of me believes we reunite with loved ones. It's not a physical reunion, but something unexplainable. i guess no one will know till it is our time to go
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I don't have a problem with it at all. I didn't exist before I was born, and I'll stop to exist after I die. Either way, I'm not going to be around to feel one way or another about it, so it's all good.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• collinsky I like your dad's POV! Makes me feel a lot more at ease thinking in that perspective!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My Dad has come a long way... he raised us conservative fundamentalist where the only questioning allowed was a certain kind, and you then had to accept the answers given in the pamphlets for those Q's. He's a lot more at peace now that he doesn't have all the answers. :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Anouck pretty much summed up my feelings :)
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 7:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• that pretty much sums up hell. you cease to exist in the presence of God..eternally separated from Him, that SHOULD be frightening.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2010