How it is people on public assistance make out better then working people?

I work and cannot afford a cell phone, vacations, and have extra money. Yet, for of the people I know who are on PA they can afford all the above. Sometimes it just gets so frustrating. It seems the less you do the more they give to you. Anyone who has a job and struggles is not helped at all. Also the one person I know has been on PA for years with no attempts to find a job. Simply put she don't want to because then they will take away her PA. I find this unbelievable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because since they are on PA all extra money they have that should go to food, rent, bills, ect doesn't so they technically have the money to blow on other stuff.
    Some people do abuse it but there are some that do need it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Well, I don't know about you, but I'd be MUCH worse off if I was on PA. I honestly don't believe it allows people to live in the lap of luxury. And I also don't believe a few bad apples should spoil the bunch...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• should all these people just starve to death because they can't find jobs? stress about making more money and leave them alone.
    Anonymous

• Lots have a 'side' job. Something under the table possibly.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• seriously though, they work under the table. I have KNOWn people who do this
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• anon, " all" of those people aren't jobless.
    Some are some aren't. Also some don't want to take any job. They are apparently too good for mcdonalds.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• The system is messed up. A few months ago my husband fell off a roof and broke his ankle, he ws also suffering from trama, I am a stay at home mom so I went up and tryed to apply for temperary assitance they said in order to get it we would need to put a lean on our house and I would need to prove that I was applying for atleast 15 jobs a week. It was so mad I just walked out of the woman I had waited six hours to talk to!
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• How come people never ask PA questions based on reality instead of based on episodes of Law and Order and Lifetime movies?
    Anonymous

• Why would you assume everyone on PA doesn't work? Sure there are those who abuse the system, always will be but I've never seen any evidence they make up the majority.

We are on Medicaid and FS, dh works but I can't. We have cel phones but no land line and haven't been on vacation since prior to my injury, when I was working. The only extra money goes to my meds.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• They do have all the toys but they do not live well.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2010