promlem sleeping

For the last week I have been waking up every two hours I am exhausted all day and I have the same experience every night I am 19 weeks preggers. Anyone ever experienced this? Any suggestions?

jfrancis91680

Asked by jfrancis91680 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I mean problem sleeping lol
    jfrancis91680

Answer by jfrancis91680 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Pregnancy insomnia is the worst. Really.I went through it for a while at about the same stage of pregnancy, and it was ... just torture. For me, the tireder I got, the harder it was to sleep, and it ended up making my second trimester WAY harder than the first, which should never be the case! I feel for you. It is - sadly - fairly common and there's not a lot you can do for it, IME. Some women end up asking their caregivers for some prescription sleep aids, which is clearly a last resort but if you need it your dr can help you know what's safe and what's not. I don't necessarily recommend it, but it's an option. If you want to take any herbal teas or remedies, just do your research on each herb involved to make sure it's safe in pregnancy. (Your OB won't have this info, it's not something they learn and isn't their realm of expertise.)

The good news is that it usually passes. I've slept mostly very well since that phase.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• And don't be at all ashamed to ask people for help, and to take naps during the day, to lighten your workload as much as possible until you get more rest. Lack of sleep is no joke, and right now your primary job is to incubate that little bubbin and take care of yourself. So if some other stuff has to fall by the wayside, or if you have to call on others to lend a hand, then do it. Without hesitation, without guilt. It's what you might call a "rough patch" and it will pass more easily if you are able to take care of yourself.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• It's going to happen. Nothing you can really do about it. To help feel a little more "up" during the day, make sure you're not getting anemic and also make sure you're getting plenty of vitamin C and also B vitamins. Your pee will turn neon yellow from B vitamin supplements, but it really does help at least a little.
    Anonymous

• I'm going through the same thing - I'm 21 weeks and sleeping like 2-3 hours, then up for a couple hours, then 2-3 more hours of sleep, etc. until time to get my kids up for school. I usually try to fit in an hour nap between my kids bus picking them up and my husband leaving for work (fortunately he can usually go in a little late and cut his lunch short, plus he has a short commute), and then I nap in the afternoons when my 15 month old naps.
    Just try to sleep when you can. If it becomes a problem, you can take something to see if it helps you sleep. I know my OB will sometimes recommend Unisom and B vitamins for morning sickness, so obviously Unisom is safe to take while pregnant but check with your OB to be safe.

Answer by missanc at 8:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2010