After having children of your own and having some experience being a parent yourself...

do you think your parents were "good" parents or "bad" parents overall? What would you rate them out of 10 (10 being the best)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think my parents were great. I'd give them 8.5 on a scale of 1-10, but no one is perfect, either. They did the best they could with my brother and I. They were strict, but it was always in our best interests. We were never handed anything without having to work for it first, and we definitely were shown what it means to be a family. We always had food on the table and a roof over our heads regardless of how poor we were. We didn't have a lot of luxuries, but there was always love.
    Anonymous

• OP here: I'm just curious because now that I have kids of my own I get to thinking sometimes when certain situations come up that I went through with my parents things like "I can't believe they did (or didn't do) that!" every once in a while. I think I'd have to rate them a 7, they were pretty good parents overall but there are definitely things that I see now that they could have done better (and we've talked about some things before and they agree).
    Anonymous

• I understand how much they loved me and how hard they tried, even when they made mistakes. They did make mistakes, and some things they did that I disagree with now, but they were just going on the only information available to them at the time... so it's really hard to rate that. They did the best they could with what they had.

My dad was 17 when I was born, and he came from a dysfunctional family with a zero for an absentee and occasionally abusive father figure... the fact that he was able to be the dad he was to us, even with the mistakes he made, gets him extra points in my book.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I was raised in a different era. Back in the 60s and 70s. so what was ok then is not ok now. Like letting your kids run free all over the neighborhood alone.  Letting them walk to school alone. Or spanking was ok to do back then.  Well if I have to  rate them . My Mom was a 9. My Dad was 2.

Answer by louise2 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My step dad an 8 1/2 My mom a 2.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I was raised in the 70's. things were different. It was okay for people do discipline anyway they saw fit. Men were the main breadwinner and moms did all the domestic work. I think my parents did the best they could. My mom has a mental disorder and that made things difficult but you didn't get treated or diagnosed back then.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• 10.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 7:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I would say an 8. My mom was always very overprotective, but we knew we were loved and well taken-care-of. My dad is a great dad, he's just not really actively involved in the day to day running of the household because he worked from 6-5, then came home and showered (he worked in a factory and would come home disgustingly dirty), and by that time mom would have dinner on the table, so we really didn't have a lot of interaction with my dad. The only thing I wish they would have done any different would be to teach us to be more self-sufficient. My mom never allowed us to really do any cleaning or cooking because it was just easier for her to do it and she was a perfectionist. So when i got married I had NO idea how to clean or cook or anything. It took me years to learn!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I'd give my mom a 5 til I was 14,and a zero from then til i was 23,then I'd give her a 6. My dad,0 all the way from birth to when he died when I was 16.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My parents were both a 10.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2010