Breast Feeding!!!

Hello out there, i have a very simple 2 part question. How much and often did your 11 month old baby breast feed? No judgments, i'm curious. And what is your stand on cow's milk? My husband and i differ and i am looking for a census.

Thanks everyone!

zoozleroo

Asked by zoozleroo at 7:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed my dd on demand, so it was pretty much up to her how often she did it each day and it varied some. On average probably about 4-6 times a day and at least once at night at that age still. I have nothing against cows milk, I just think breast milk is better for them.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 7:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Ditto what whittear said, exactly.

It was definitely more during times of teething, that much I know for sure!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My son was a boob monster until i got pregnant when he was almost 14 months old. At 11 months, he was nursing 8 to 10 times a day. I did not start giving him cow milk until two weeks before he turned 1.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 7:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Uh, all the time LOL! my son nursed a lot cuz he wasn't eating much so before and after I attempted to feed him, he would nurse. While he was on the high chair and I was spoon feeding him, he would sign to nurse! So all the time.

Cow's milk...I was hesitant to give it to him because 1) human body doesn't need cow's milk, can have soy or almond (has magnesium which helps break down the calcium); 2) seriously, why? he gets all he needs from other foods and my milk (I still nurse, 21mos)

But when it came down to it, I don't give him milk in a sippie/bottle. Instead I put it in his oatmeal and cheese sauce. So yes, I caved in but no he doesn't drink it. At one point he thought all cups and bottles had water! LOL!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I did not give any of my kis cows milk until 1.
    My 14 month old still nurses 3 times a day and all flippen night I am trying really hard to wean
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• by the time my first was 11 months old it was about three times a day breakfast, afternoon snack and bedtime. I didn't give cow's milk until after the first birthday. And when I did it was a sippy cup.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Cow's milk is only necessary to baby cows and an inefficient way to get calcium as the animal proteins interfere with its absorption.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• At 11 months probably only 3 or 4 times a day and she drank 1 sippy of whole milk and 1 sippy of pediasure a day....my little one is small so I wanted her to have the extra fat to gain some weight and she did great with it...I still nurse once or twice a day at 13 months but I was over the pumping....and I see a lot of people saying you dont need cows milk which may very well be true...but I LOVE milk! So I see no way I could be drinking it 24/7 and my DD not wanting it too...but thats our life...I see no problem with others not wanting it for thier children.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• On demand. The frequency would vary on a day to day basis. What do you want to know about how I feel about cow's milk? Could you be a little more specific?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My first weaned herself from the breast at 11 months but I was pregnant with #2. With my second, at 11 months I'd say probably still 6-8 times a day, but only one of those times was in the night (somewhere between 5-6 am)... Cow's milk... not safe before 12 months (it can really tear up the lining of the intestines, even make them bleed and you won't even know it). I think it's just safer to hold off. My oldest is almost 3 and has had two 8 oz cups of cow's milk a day since 12 months, but my second daughter (the one who still nursed 6-8 x / day at 11 months) won't touch cow's milk with a 10 foot pole. But she won't drink anything at all except water now, not soy milk or rice milk; not even hot chocolate, juice or a smoothie (believe me, i have only offered sips of these out of curiosity). She weaned at 15 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2010