Will my newborn be affected by the street noise?

I live nearby a very crowded avenue, but the street noise ( and the upstairs neighbors noise ) does not affect me, although sometimes the sirens are pretty loud.
Will my newborn face problems sleeping? Should I consider moving to a quiter place? Thank you very much

diael01

Asked by diael01 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, the baby will be fine. If you make a house too quiet for a baby any noise will wake them up. Walking, talking, the dishwasher or vacuum cleaner etc.. You want baby to sleep through that.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• the baby will be fine.. i used to live near noise area car drive by every second and people outside screaming at each other so it should be ok

it good to have baby sleep thought all that noise and get them used the day and night..
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• When our kids were infants, we used to put the bassinet next to the t.v. and put it on a show that had sudden, kinda loud noises...like a western. They learned very quickley to sleep thru it which was great as we had a small house. When people would come visit, their knocking on the door, talking, etc never bothered them...they slept right thru it all. On the other hand, my sil kept her house VERY quiet when her kids were sleeping...even put a sign on the front door saying, "do not knock, baby sleeping". The result was that if you were visiting them and the kids were sleeping, you literally had to talk in whispers no matter where you were in the house...the kid's rooms were upstairs but normal talking DOWNstairs would wake them.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• lol How nice you proposely put your baby next to a loud t.v...? Whata redneck!
    Anonymous

• I have always heard that from birth to about 6 weeks babies tune out noises like that. THey will sleep thru anything. After that, it may bother him at first, but he will get used to it and it will actually help him sleep better in the long run, because he is used to noises. If you try to keep things too quiet and dark, the baby will only be able to sleep during those conditions, and if he has to go to daycare or sleep somewhere noisy he won't be able to. Don't worry momma, he will be just fine!
    IlovemyNicholas

Answer by IlovemyNicholas at 9:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Nope. It's actually good for babies to get used to environmental noise. Then they can pretty much sleep through anything. Keeping things totally silent when baby sleeps is not normal.

MY little ones have a white noise machine they have always had on when they sleep. YOu should look into getting one then at least they will have a constant noise to avoid being startled.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• When my oldest was born I bought a cheap little electric radio and put it on low volume in the baby's room. Ran it 24/7. Normal household noises never wakened her. We were near a street too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Mar. 6, 2010