Walking on tops of feet?

Okay so when my daughter started walking at 9 months she walked on the top of her left foot. Now she's been to the podiatrist for this and she has an orthodic that she is suppose to wear most of the day. She was doing good, but I caught her walking on the top of her left foot again. Her feet sweat bad so I hate that she has to wear shoes all the time, especially with summer coming. Has anyone else had to deal with this with their toddlers? What can I do to work with her on this without her having to wear the orthodic all the time?

Xandriasmommy

Asked by Xandriasmommy at 8:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds like she may just have to wear the orthodic til she understands that she can't walk like that. Better now to wear the shoe then later when its a 100 degrees out...sorry not much help I know, but i don't think there is really any other way to correct this.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 8:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• you mean toe walking?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• no not toe walking, like on the top side of her left foot. Its kinda on the topside of the toes, but its more on the main part of the foot
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 8:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Wow,I've never seen that before! Is this fixable with surgery later perhaps? is it a case of muscle or tendon issues?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• No its not a tendo thing, she has full movement/rotation of the foot and ankle. Its just how she learned how to walk. He said he is seeing this more and more since the soft shoes/no shoes is becoming so much more popular lately.

I was just hoping there might be someone out there that could help with this/has gone through this and knows some tricks. She will most likely have to wear the orthodic till she's 5
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 8:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• You'd think that would hurt! My son's Occupational therapist said most kids will continue with these strange walking habits even after the orthotics are removed.My son's is a toe walker due to his autism. His doc suggested orthotics,but the OT said to skip it.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• The only thing I can offer is to make sure she wears the orthodic as much as she is supposed to. I know it's hard, especially in the summer, but it will be so worth it in the long run. Our oldest daughter as an infant had extra long tendons so when she stood, she was practically standing on her ankle and you could take her foot and bend it straight back at the ankle so that her foot was nearly touching her leg...and it didn't hurt her a bit. She was in casts for while and then had to wear special shoes, at first she had to wear them even at night. After awhile, she got to have them off at night but she wore them till she was about 5 years old. Like I said, I know it's hard to make her wear them when you know she'd be much more comfortable without them...BUT if you make her wear them like she is supposed to...there will be a day, when you will be soo thankful you did.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Thanks meriana. I know it wasn't the same thing, but its good to know you aren't alone. I have her wearing them the majority of the time but by the evening she's having a fit because of them.
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 9:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My dd does this and has since she started walking at 8mths.... she is now 5 and last summer we went through 2 types of casts...NOT FUN. However, it may not be a "tendon" thing now, it will be soon. My DD did it out of habit, then doing it for so long caused her Tendon to tighten and then she ended up PHYSICALLY not being able to walk flat on her feet. The top part of her foot is also ALOT wider than her heel which makes buying shoes IMPOSSIBLE. Get it taken care of now, or you will end up in my shoes.... We are now looking at surgery.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Xandriasmommy,

Well not the same problem BUT it IS the same as far as how it makes us mommie's feel. It's so hard to have to do something that makes our child uncomfortable. The only thing we can really do is be tough about it because it's best and for their overall well-being.....and then go in our room, shut the door and cry a bit. I remember the first pair of REGULAR shoes our dd got at 5 yrs..she was so thrilled and proud she danced around the store. We realized then that it had all been worth it. Hang in there momma, it will get better and someday, not only will you be glad you followed thru but your daughter will thank you for it too.

Is Xandria her name? LOVE IT!
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:15 AM on Mar. 7, 2010