What would you have done?

I was at a restaurant tonight and my toddler and preschooler were interacting a lot with the kids at the table next to us. My husband and I were pretty involved in the interactions, but the other parents were kind of oblivious. Anyway, at one point, the 3 or 4 year-old boy at the table next to us said ever-so-politely to mom and dad (he had to say "Excuse me" a lot first, though), "I need to go potty please." What was the response? Mom said, "I put a diaper on you, you can go in that."

Before I knew it, I found myself saying, "I'll take him. I'm about to take my daughter anyway." She just gave me a look (understandable -- I certainly had overstepped as far as stranger's rights.). But seriously??? Refusing to take your child to the potty? She got all huffy and took him to the potty, by the way, and we luckily were almost ready to leave so we did. What would you have done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I probably would have said the same thing. But I can imgaine what she might have been thinking LOL
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I try to stay out of peoples business.

Answer by louise2 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I would have done the same thing, thats just a mother's act. I just can't belive that the other mom wouldn't take the child to the restroom.
    proud_mom21

Answer by proud_mom21 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I would never offer to take a strangers child to the bathroom.
    Anonymous

• I would have said the same thing, and then when she got huffy I would've said " Sorry I was just trying to help I thought a fine parent as your self wouldn't want him to revert from potty training. I know that can always be difficult, and I saw you were so busy I thought I'd lend a hand. I sure know I would've appreciated it though I've never been in the sit. I hope you have a wonderful evening." Than if she got any more huffy she would just look like an ass. Some people, are so rude to offer a little help to a stranger who can't seem to do her own parenting. LOL!!! Seriously though don't feel bad it just shows you care about kids. It was nice of you to ask. I know if I were in her shoes I would've been grateful you didn't scream how awful I was. Take Care. Don't let scum get you down.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• thats sad, i wouldnt have said anything but becouse i try to avoid conflic. that poor child is gonna be confused and probaly have issues with going on himself when he is older.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:24 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• eh, you really have no idea what their situation is, sure, you can judge based on that little information, but it wouldn't be smart. You just don't know what the story is.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I think she got huffy because she knows she was being an ass. You pointed out her shortcoming in the nicest possible way and that precious little boy didn't have to go in his diaper.
    What if she had said "sure" when you offered? lol
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I think you did good, and I'm sure the mom learned something from it, at least I hope she did. some parents.... I loved bigmama86 answer too-go girl!
    taraslife

Answer by taraslife at 11:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Ok I'm sorry but the people saying "you don't know their situation" are clearly forgetting that when a child asks to go to the bathroom YOU TAKE THEM. Maybe he doesn't go all the time by himself but if he's asking to go than he is developed enough to understand the feeling of needing to go.

Not to mention the mother said she would take him so obviously he CAN go in the toliet. She was being L-A-Z-Y LAZY!!

My 3 year old would be MORTIFIED if I told her to go in a diaper. I can't even imagine.

I wouldn't have offered to take him because I do think that's over stepping the bounds but I probably would have loudly said to my husband "I can NOT believe that some people are SO LAZY that they won't get up to take their child to the bathroom! How absolutely rediculous" but then again...I'm outspoken. LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2010