theres no need to push

so it's been proven that there is no reason for doctors to make you push at 10 cm. the uterus pushes the baby out itself and the difference in delivery time between women who pushed and who didn't push was a matter of 2 or 3 minutes. so why do doctors do it? is it to make the woman feel as if they're doing something cause all it does is tire the mother, not get the baby out quicker...opinions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've heard this. I always wondered how handicapped,paralyzed,and comotose ladies give birth,and discovered this fact.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I don't know why they do it, however, I do know that personally I couldn't have just laid there and just let my body do it naturally...the urge to push was just way too powerful. I have no clue how any women can just relax and let their body do the work. I went natural and didn't make a sound with my contractions but I was SCREAMING for the doctor because they made me wait to push til she came in.
    nessani28

Answer by nessani28 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• i also find it extremely odd and wrong that 99% of providers in this country will coach pushing when imo it is best to just let your body do the work and only push if you feel like it. imo it causes a lot of problems & has no benefits.
    Anonymous

• Anon 8:52, I agree that if you don't feel the need to push then you should not. I just ignored the doctor when she told me to push if I didn't need to. I actually told her to shut up because she was like "Okay, take a deep breath and give me another big push" and I was telling her I didn't need to push and she kept saying "push push push" and I was like "I'll freaking push when I need to!"
    nessani28

Answer by nessani28 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• The body tells a women when to push and she can not fight it. If she doens't allow her body to do what it wants to do it WILL take over. I was very uneducated on this when I gave birth to my daughter and I listened to the nurses tell me not to push because "it wasn't time."

Eventually my body said "to hell with this" and pushed anyway.

I tell women all the time....Tell a mother to push just because she's a 10 when she has no urge to push is like telling a women who doesn't have to poop "Ok it's time to poop." She can go into the bathroom and push for hours. After a while she may eventually get something out just like a women who pushes for hours will eventually get the baby but why not just wait until you HAVE to poop????

May sound silly but it's the same thing.

With my son I pushed when my body said it was time. I don't know what I was dialated to and only pushed 1.5 times before I had a baby in my arms.

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I'd rather push and feel like I'm doing something that just lay there.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• There is an AMAZING article about this in my journal section that I read while I was pregnant. It's quite possibly one of the most sensible things I've ever read.

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Pushing when you don't need to is senseless. All it does is tire out the mother, put her at risk for a c-section if she doesn't push the baby out on the doctor's time schedule, puts the baby at unnecessary risk and is a waiste of time.

There is no magic number that says when a women should push. Women should push when they feel the urge to do so.

Many women say they "never had the urge" but in reality they either didn't wait long enough or were to drugged to feel it. Not all drugs or epis will keep you from feeling the urge but some do.
    Anonymous

• I think they mostly do it because a majority of woman feel the need to push. It can slow labor if a woman is trying to fight the urge because she is basically holding the baby in and fighting the muscles that will do the work for her. I think the doctors just want to make sure the woman is not holding back the natural process which can be more stressful. It is easier for them to tell you to push because then they know you aren't fighting your body's natural process.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 9:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• my docor said when you hae to push let me know. i push when i had the urge and push for under 8 mts with both my kids
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2010