Copper IUD?

I am getting married in September and am not planning on having kids for at least 6 years. I really don't like the idea of using a hormonal method of birth control and I feel like having an IUD would be a good option. What did you think of it when you used it? Or how is it going for you now? And would you recommend it?

katinthehat8914

Asked by katinthehat8914 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Health

• I have the copper IUD and compared to hormonal BC I LOVE it! Your period will be MUCH MUCH heavier, I was changing an Ultra Tampon every 45 min or so the first few days of the first few months, but I appear to be regulating and my periods have returned to normal. I also skipped a month twice which was a little concerning but thankfully the dollar store sells HPT's so I could get over my paranoia.

But like I said, it's way better than any hormonal BC I was on before. I highly recommend it.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I was on it for 4 or 5 years and like the pp said, my periods were heavier, but pretty consistent. But I got pregnant the same month that it came out, so that was a positive. I am now using a low hormone IUD (mirena) and it's been less than a year so it's hard to compare.
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I've had Mirena for 3 years and before that I had it for 2 years. I love it! The hormonal dose is 1/7 the amount of the pill! So I don't even notice the hormones. Plus I never ever get my period. I couldn't recommend a better BC!
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 3:38 AM on Mar. 6, 2010