You're baby can read?!

Does anyone have any experience w/ this product? I'm wondering how well it works. What was your experience like?

mom22littlegirl

Asked by mom22littlegirl at 8:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's garbage. Teaches kids memorization, not reading. Makes phonics-based reading harder later on... Waste of money.
    Anonymous

• I agree. Read to your child as much as possible. Get something with his or her name on it and spell it out several times a day, pointing to the letters. Get some letter refrigerator magnets and bath toys. And READ to your child as much as possible. That is how your baby will develop lasting literacy.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I have it for my daughter. She is not interested in it yet because she hates the TV. I have watched it a few times with her and it is NOT just memorization. It seems that way if you only watch the first DVD but each complimentary DVD mixes up the order words are presented in and teaches them more about reading left to right and reading new words. I like how it teaches them, but I would not replace reading with it. Parents sometimes think that if they get the DVDs they will not have to read and it will do all the work for them. This is NOT the case. You are still supposed to read to them and they supply flashcards to help them learn as well. All three combined is what shows results. I have seen a few children learn to read from the program and although it doesn't teach them sounds in particular it does help them recognize new words because it teaches patterns.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 9:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Babies CAN learn to read, but they aren't developmentally ready for it so it takes much longer for them to learn to read at such a young age than if you waited until they are around 4 and are ready. Why would anyone want a baby to read anyway? Such a waste of time!

Answer by missanc at 9:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• It's a racket.
    Anonymous

• I have never tried it, but as a reading specialist I can tell you it is a scam. If you want your child to get a "head start" then the best thing you can do is talk to them a lot, read to them a lot, let them learn through play and exploration and limit tv/screen time as much as possible. Even if your baby can memorize the words on the cards and learn to "read" them, it is not going to help them in the long run, the other stuff I said before will be much more valuable for your child in the long run that that silly program. A big waste of money if you ask me.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• It is lame, a huge waste. You don't need to blow that money on that company to teach your child to memorize LOL,
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:21 AM on Mar. 6, 2010