"experts" say uthat you shouldn't let kids under the age of 2 watch tv-

so my questions are: do you allow your kids to watch before age 2? why or why not? and at what age did you start allowing them to watch?

as for me- I allowed them to watch as soon as they seem interested- but I do monitor what they watch. All I know is my mom put me in front of the tv as a baby and had me there as much as possible to entertain me (sad isn't it? lol) but you know what? it didn't harm me, and I actually started reading by age 3 so I personally don't see any harm in letting young kids watch if they want to. (as long as what they are watching is monitored) what do you think?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• ive always let my almost 2 yr old watch tv as long as i can rember,she is also very smart, she doesnt sit down long enough to watch a full show anyway.i let her watch tv becouse she seems like she runs out of things to do,im always having to pack up toys and bring out the old ones,and buying new puzzles.she seems to get bored easy.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• yes i do. i dont need some doctor telling me how to raised my kids. my dd watches alot of tv, she is very smart and talks very well for age
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I don't really worry about what others think of how we raise our children.. Honestly our children didn't have much interest in TV when they were that small. I would put music on the satellite and they would dance,lol.. There are ways to get around it, but I don't think it hurts them as long as you aren't using it as a babysitter....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• there are actually new studies that show that it isn't so bad to let kids watch t.v. before the age of 2. they used to say that it could cause A.D.D. but now they are starting to say otherwise. i've let both my kids watch t.v. but i do feel bad about them spending so much time infront of the screen so i'm putting forth more effort in finding activities for them to do, but 2 or 3 episodes of t.v. isn't bad at all.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 9:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• i let my dd watch tv, she has since around 8 months. and i just used the tv for noise in the house, i hate sitting in silence, and then i thought maybe she would like cartoons. the only show she will sit down to watch if phineas and ferb. but she just recently starting staying still for that. btw, shes 3.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• With my first I didn't, my second I do and will with my third. I've notice my middle child speech is better she is more interested in learning, and helping with things than the first. They both get the same amount of attention and nothing has changed besides tv. I only let the watch appropriate age friendly though.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• haha, the "experts" are the American Academy of Pediatrics! sorry, but that really is fairly expert in my book :) that said, as ardent as I was about not letting my LO watch tv in the first two years, around 18 months I finally cracked. I only let her watch a few shows and before I got put on high restrictions from my current pregancy, I actually had gone back to no tv or just one show a day.I don't feel good about it now so I try to keep us busy. I just think that when your kids are watching tv, they aren't doing other things that are much more positive. I've never heard the link between ADD and tv, but I do believe that is overly stimulating and non sequential to a young mind. We get all crazy about wooden classic toys but throw our kids in front of a tv, you know? I do think there are moments or days where mom needs a sanity break and that trumps principle :)
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• My son doesn't really like TV. He'll watch Two and a Half Men but that's it. I guess he watches a lot more at my parents house but they usually go against a lot of what I say.

I don't stick my kid in front of a TV. I hardly watch it myself. It's usually just one fore noise.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Almost all of us watched TV when we were kids. Do you really remember watching it when you're 2 or 3 yrs old? I didn't think so. It's not the tv itself, it's how long and what they're allowed to watch. If I have something I need to do, you can bet your ass that I'll let my DD watch tv while I'm cooking or whatnot. She gets read to, played with, fed, changed, I see no reason why she can't watch tv once in awhile if it keeps her attention for a little while.
    Anonymous

• my 6 yr old was reading at the age of 3 because I let him watch the dvds of leap frog from the age of 8 mos. the letter factory helped teach his letters, words factory helped teach him to build the letters into words and so on. now im not saying that these movies were the only factor, because they werent, i helped some but only when I realized that he was actually learning from the movies is when I actually started helping, and that was at the age of 2! otherwise I wouldn't have known to start teaching phonics! so yeah, as long as the shows are age appropriate and educational i will let my kids watch as much as they want
    Anonymous