Those of you on unemployment...are you willing to take a job making less that what you were making when you lost your job?

If not...why?

Do you think it's abusing the system if someone has the opportunity to take a job paying less that they were making before and they turn it down?

Unempoyment is supposed to be temporary. I've heard that it was never intended for anyone to be on it for more than 9 months.

I know some people don't have a choice and TRULY can not find ANYTHING. I've talked to people who haven't been able to get a McDonnald job because they aren't hiring but for those of you that HAVE the option of taking a job making less, how long do you plan on staying on unemployment before lowering your standards?

Eventually...something's got to give...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sometimes it is best to hold out for the better opportunity. Having been on assistance after a layoff, taking a job that offers a substancially less salary, means not making ends meet. Taking a low paying job will disqualify food stamps, unemployment and any chance of utility assistance. Sometimes you just cant embrace that opportunity, knowing that a new salary means new qualifications for assistance (a lower percentage of help), should you need it soon after.
    Anonymous

• My husband just lost his job and he's been out looking for anything the very next day. Considering his unemployment check averages out to about $6 an hour even min wage will be an improvement. We've applied for food stamps in the mean time and I'm out looking for a job now too.

Unfortunately he will always be able to get a better paying job in the long run than I will simply because he has the training, but for now our priorities are food on the table and a roof over our heads.

I do know some people who are actually getting more in unemployment than they did working. How I don't know but that's what they said.

So no, it's not beneath us to work a menial job if it means we can stay off the "system" and provide for our family. Hopefully one of us finds something soon.
    Anonymous

• I know people who are not on unemployment and don't have jobs that still say "I can't afford to work there I need to make more money". I just don't get it. Right now you make $0.... but your holding out for better pay and your family is suffering? If you need to make more than get two jobs. Or work at one while looking for something better. But sitting around complaining about jobs that don't offer enough will get you no where.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I agree with first poster. My friends dh old job barely paid enough to make bills to take any thing less they would go belly up.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Right now you make $0.... but your holding out for better pay and your family is suffering?

Right now you make $0, but if you take a job that won't even pay for the gas money to get to and from work, after 2 weeks you can be -$200, fired, and no longer qualify for unemployment. How is that an improvement?
    Anonymous

• It really depends on how much the old job paid as to whether it's worth it to take a pay cut, and how severe. Unemployment pays a percentage of what a person was making at their job, I think (??) 40%. If someone got laid off of a job where they were making $50,000/year, and unemployment pays them $20,000, then they're better off keeping unemployment than taking a minimum-wage job at McDonald's making $16,000. In that kind of situation, it's a financially sound decision, not a matter of laziness or setting standards that are too high or anything else like that.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Only if I could pay my bills with it. Around here, working at McDonalds wouldn't pay for my gas to get there and childcare expenses. So, I would literally have to pay to work there. As long as the job would pay all my bills, yes, I would take a job making less than my previous job. And for the person who said get two jobs, that's not always an option. #1, right now I can't even find a first job, much less a second job, and #2, I cannot work 2 jobs b/c I do not have childcare to allow me to work 2 jobs. My boyfriend works as an otr truck driver, so he is not here to watch the kids while I work, and my family and friends all have jobs as well. There are no daycares or babysitters that work evenings/nights in my area. It just doesn't work for me.
    Anonymous

Get 2 jobs, or however many it takes to make it. Cut spending.
    Anonymous

• Having 2 kids in daycare - NO. There are talks of lay offs coming. If it happens to me, I will stay home on unemployment. I'd have to find a job that pays the same to make daycare worth it, and me still bringing EXTRA money home to pay the bills, like I do now.
    Anonymous

• My husband was unemployed for a month and took about a dollar an hour paycut. He never got unemployment but it didn't matter. My mom has been unemployed for almost a year and hasn't even tried. The state weekly maximum here is $410 so for anyone, that's a pretty sucky amount of money. My mom really shouldn't be getting unemployment, she was a teacher's aide so she got unemployment during the summer when she wouldn't have been earning any money, anyway. But you gotta remember, there isn't a system to cheat--your previous employer pays your unemployment, NOT tax dollars. By not getting a job you're not milking anything but your old boss and kinda killing your own self esteem....
    Anonymous