Non pooping 3 year old

He will be 3 next month. He walks around like he is holding it in for days. he sqeezes the cheeks and walks on his tippy toes. He sometimes looks terrified. I do everything I can think of to get him to poo. I have tried to bribe, threaten, look hin in the eyes and tell him we will do this together and that he will feel better, send him to his room, take toys away....
We have given him a baby enima a couple of times and he screams and cries. I don't know what I am doing wrong here.
Oh, BTW he is not a good eater. He is VERY picky and eats very little of what we do give him.
Thanks for your time in advance girls, and I am willing to hear all of the advice you can give.

lincsmom74

Asked by lincsmom74 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you talk to his doctor. maybe get him like a special book he only gets to read when he was to poop
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Well first of all, the threatening him and punishing him for not pooping is SO unnecessary in my opinion. Its not like he's pooping in his pants or around the house! He's just afraid to go for some reason, and that does NOT deserve a punishment! Maybe it hurts him or he is constipated. He could have a hemmoroid and tries holding it in because it hurts when he goes. You should ask his doctor about it and maybe try giving him prunes or something just to make sure he's not constipated. Sit down and ask him why he doesn't want to go potty. But please don't punish him. That is not a behavior that earn's that.
    Anonymous

• may sound far fetched, but could anyone have told him a story that would scare him? the house I grew up in had 2 baths, but the only one on the ground floor had stairs going into the basement.
    My grandmother didn't want me to go in there alone, afraid I would fall.
    So she told me that she had to go in there with me because there was a bad man and invisible monsters in the basement who would get me if she wasn't there with me-
    so guess what it was like for me when she wasn't there?
    scared me into not going too-
    Anonymous

• Is he constipated? Is the stool very hard and dry? Maybe it hurts him to have a bowel movement, especially if he's not getting enough fiber in his diet. What kinds of foods does he eat?
    D.Mary

Answer by D.Mary at 9:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• yeah i wouldnt yell at him for not pooping there is a reason for him not pooping .it may hurt him or something .have you talked to ur pedi about this yet .they have pedilax you can give him .or try some different food
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I had the exact same issue with my son right before he turned 4. My thing was we were trying too hard to have him poop on the potty when he wasnt ready. so he would just hold it in. there were times he didnt poop for almost 2 weeks =(
    but we did the same thing, we gave him baby enemias every 3 days and the doc put him on this laxitive which he had to take 2 times a day, plus being on childrens benefiber and we changed his food habits. one thing is a child can never have too much apple juice, that helps alot too. Idk if your child drinks alot of milk but that also constipates alot, so we cut my son down to one cup a day until he started pooping again. But we allowed him to poop in the diaper and he finally started going again on his own. it is a very frustrating situation and i hope you everything goes ok =)
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• It seems to be an age and control thing. Went through that with a few of my kids. It helps to just give them fruit for breakfast to get things going. Warm water to drink too. I had to squirt soapy water up one of my kids butts every couple of days so he would go. Eventually he figured he better go or it was gonna hurt coming out. Tonight he tried to wipe his own butt, he just turned four. OMG, what a mess! A new phase in life. Don't pull your hair out over it, just go with the flow and he won't be stressed out.
    taraslife

Answer by taraslife at 11:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2010