How long does it take to get billed for dental work after medicaid?

My LO's dentist informed me that since he'll be using 4 crowns that are metal but white in the front, they might be considered cometic and possibly not covered. He said he'd bill medicaid but it may fall on me. Does anyone know if medicaid covers this? If not, how long does it take for the dental office to bill medicaid, medicaid to deny it, and bill me? It's a lot of money and I ned to know how long I have to come up with it if I can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Are you sure your LO needed crowns? My little one got 8 metal crowns. It was because her dentist was using her to collect medicaid money. Where other doctors usually get screwed because medicaid doesn't pay much, dentists take advantage of the fact they they do get paid more than it's worth. Because my little one was in so much pain each time she went she became fearful of the dentist. So I decided to pay cash and go to a dentist who specializes in children. It was hard to come up with the cash but we did it. Her new dentist is great and they use gas so the kids don't feel a thing. Of the eight crowns he had to replace 2 because they were so ill fitting they were hurting her. He said there is usually never a need for crowns like that. She had deep dark grooves but they could have just made a small filling. I say run fast, and find a new dentist.
    Anonymous

• Call your medicaid provider and ask them. In Wisconsin they are not covered. But then again, dental from medicaid in Wisconsin sucks. There is 1 dentist in my city that takes dental medicaid and it takes 6-18 months to get an appointment with them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Her dentist does specialize in children. I trust him.
    Anonymous

• We take Medicaid in our dental practice. Medicaid will cover stainless steal crowns. Something sounds fishy to me about the dentist wanting to use crowns that are not covered by Medicaid. You might need to report him to Medicaid. If the service is needed and can be done without the white colored crowns than he is obligated to do it under Medicaid rules.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Medicaid will not bill you. The office submits the treatment to Medicaid for billing. Anything that Medicaid does not pay is billed to the patient by the dentist.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• So how long will it take for the office to bill me? We talked about thee types of crowns and I decided on the white front ones so my little one will not have to have a front row of silver teeth for years to come.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Most offices require payment before service is rendered. Did they give you a treatment plan with the costs?
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 5:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• They told me the plan (which isn't set in stone cause it might take 2 appts depending on how she takes to the medication) and the estimate.
    Anonymous

• You need to call the medicaid number and explain the situation and ask them if it is covered.
    Anonymous