Natural Birth control and Contraceptives?

Does anyone have any extra knowledge or experience with natural birth control or contraceptives?

Ossom

Asked by Ossom at 10:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• ~ This is a time laps of a few posts I added to another group, "Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth" http://www.cafemom.com/group/50251 ~

Does anybody have any extra knowledge or experience with natural birth control or contraceptives?

Well, I am allergic to latex and my body seems to reject all forms of birth control. I did have an IUD for a number of years, however hate the thought of plastic and copper in my body.

So... here I am 25 weeks pregnant and trying to think of something safe and healthy for my husband and I.

I just hate the thought of having him go in for a vasectomy. For our lifestyles and all things considered, it seems to be looking more and more like the decision we are making.

With farther research I have found some great herbs that can be used.

Here is a great link I found under google, thankyou for all of your advice and encounters....

http://www.sisterzeus.com/wildyam.htm<
    Ossom

Answer by Ossom at 11:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• We don't practice natural planning anymore, bc my dh had a vasectomy when we decided we were done having children. But, we used to use natural planning. You have to keep track of your ovulation cycle and be sure not to have intercourse on and around your fertile days. Never had it fail for us, but, You have to know your body! Remember that sperm can live up to 72 hours, so if you have sex two-three days before ovulation you can still get pg. I would suggest doing to reading up on it before following it. I don't recommend contraceptives besides condoms, too many side effects.
    Anonymous

• You can get pregnant any time of the month. I think NFP and FAM are a joke. The only natural form of birth control is abstinence.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• FAM, when used properly is 98% effective. Pick up Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• sperm can live alot longer then what people think... my DP was conceived a week after his father had left on a working trip!!!!
    And his mother also hadnt had a period in over 3years
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• The only way to make 100% sure you will never get pregnant is by not havng sex. Every form of BC has a small % of a fail rate. However Natural Family Planning can be a long and difficult thing to learn, but very worth it, especially when it comes time that you want to concieve. It's all about learning about your body and reading it's natural signs.. Contraceptives other then Condoms come with to many health risks, perhaps try NFP and use condoms until you are sure you've got your body and monthly timing down, with NFP they actually suggest not having sex up to a Week before ovulation and not until 2-3 days after, if you find yourself wanting to have sex during this time, keep a stash of condoms on hand.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 10:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• rkoloms, diaphragms are not very effective after childbirth. Only about 60% :( And Anon :12, FAM takes that into account :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2010