Braces and glasses, he's gonna kill me

My son (9 years old) is going to need braces by next fall. He also needs glasses. Although he says he's okay, he's been making noise about not wanting to wear glasses, asking the teacher to move him closer, and of course "what would happen if these break?" not cool. When I mentioned braces, omg, he almost started crying.

what do i do? how do i convince him to go along with this with a better attitude? to be honest, he doesn't have a choice, but I don't want this to be another thing to break his self-esteem.....ahhhhh, I'm skizzin out. I don't know what to do..PLEASE HELP!?!?

Bambi12

Asked by Bambi12 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• As far as the glasses go, how would you feel about him wearing contacts? Do you think he would be able to handle that? Maybe if you offer that as an alternative to glasses, he might be very responsible with it just to avoid having to wear glasses? As far as braces go, there is much wiggle room on those. If he needs them he needs them, and other than the Invisalign (the clear retainer type braces) there isn't anything you can do about the looks of them. Just tell him that most kids need braces and as long as he does what he is supposed to do and takes care of them, he is going to be sooo happy when they come off and he has perfect teeth. I HATED having braces but I get so many compliments on my teeth now that it was well worth the money and the 2 years of looking like a dork with them on.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• wow, i dont really know what I would say to him. Maybe explain that most kids have to get them his age, and explain he should take care of his teeth and eyes better? Idk, but good luck!
    Anonymous

• He could always get the clear braces (if your insure covers them) and there is the invisalign. Not sure if they are for kids though. You could always make a "deal" with him. If he takes care of his glasses properly, doesnt break them, cleans them, etc, youll get him contacts before he starts middle school/high school.
    armywife7885

Answer by armywife7885 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• I wouldnt recommend contacts, I was watching a program 2 nights ago on tv about this girl who got an Ameba (i thinks i spelled it right) in her EYE from her Contacts Lenses because they need to be kept up with. It's really gross pretty much a parasite in her eye, well I dont know just thought Id let you know about this since i just happened to watch it.
    I was prescribed Glasses, ALLOOONG Time ago. I dont even wear em, Heck they are lost. And my eyesite if anything has improved, yea sure I squint a bit when reading things far away but I know if I stuck to it I would not be able to see a thing now without em. Also Braces? Is it required?? Thanks Good luck.

www.MamaDoesIt.Tk
    PajamaMama246

Answer by PajamaMama246 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• Just remind him that if he doesn't use corrective lenses now, it's going to get worse. And with the braces, does he really want to have crooked teeth or jaw problems? My husband never had braces like he should have had and now he has major problems with his jaw being out of alignment. It sounds like a ratchet when he's chewing.

Plus, it's not forever, and he needs to remember that. Tell him that if he's responsible with glasses (and guys can look SO good in glasses) you can look into getting contacts, and with the braces, he's probably looking at one or two school years with them, and by the time he hits high school, he'll have a dazzling, straight smile.
    Anonymous

• omgosh...this is exactly what i am goin thr with my 9 yo. He has had glasses ssince he was in 1st grade....hates them! but i make him wear them. he fought me tooth and nail, was embarressed said the kids would make fun of him. i asked about contacts and my doc wont give them to kids this young. not even the dailies. I just let him pick out the coolest glasses he wanted, didnt matter the price, if he was happy with htem so was i.

hes really into bmx./motoX so we found some x games brand glasses and he wore those for a while until the baby got them. Just make sure he thinks they are cool that helps and get the lenses that dont break. And when he realizes that he can actually see past his feet he wont be so upset, school is sooo much easier when they wear them!
    JustCallMeGidge

Answer by JustCallMeGidge at 12:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• With the glasses, let him pick the frames (within your coverage anyway- if they are not covered they get super expensive fast), then tell him that if he is very careful with them, keeps them clean, etc, when the optometrist says he is old enough for contacts let him switch over to those. That was a big incentive for me when I was younger. Braces- maybe the invisalign? You can't really just say okay, you don't want them we won't make you with either, so I would say just make it as fun as possible for him, and give him some incentives for going along without a fuss (like the contacts)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• thank you ladies. i let him read all the answers and he's better now. we'll see what happens when time comes for the procedures... fingers crossed
    Bambi12

Answer by Bambi12 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• As for the braces when it came time for my child -it was understood it was only temporary and that seemed to help. As for the glasses out of my 4-3 wear glasses. I made a big deal out of choosing the stylish frames (in the right price range too) and let them choose what they wanted. The only time a problem arose was when my 3rd child went out for the track team and contacts were requested - otherwise it wasn't a big deal.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I've been a dental hygienist for 22 years. Invisalign is only to correct minor issues like gaps between the teeth. Invisalign is not designed for occlusal problems or misaligned teeth.
    When my son wore braces he had fun choosing different color bands. For example, many of the kids liked orange and black for Halloween or red and green for Christmas. When your son sees other kids in braces he will begin to feel more comfortable.
    I hate to dash your son's hopes but if he has never worn glasses he may not be a candidate for contacts either. Eye doctors usually wait until the child is older before fitting them for contacts.
    The good news is that when your son reaches highschool the braces should be off and he may be able to get contacts. Remember, the ugly duckling turned out to be a beautiful swan.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:28 AM on Mar. 7, 2010