11mo who does not crawl...

what could be reasons that an 11 mo would not crawl? he used to put weight on his legs but now refuses to. What do you think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know but most states have some kind of birth to three program where they will evaluate your child for free to see if they need therapy of some sort. It could just be low muscle tone. Or maybe a senitivity and he doesn't like how it feels. At any rate it's worth looking into.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2010

• He doesn't want to. He prefers you to carry him. It happens. But talk to your ped about also.
    Anonymous

• its actually not my baby, its my nephew but my SIL is worried. I am trying to tell her not to worry about it but not much that I say, helps.
    Anonymous

• Some babies do skip crawling all together and stand and walk out of nowhere. My friends twins did this and now they walk all over the place at 14 months. Never crawled ever. But it is worth checking out just in case.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Does he scoot? Roll? Or drag himself? Crawling in itself is not that important... but it is important that the child is making attempts to get around. My son's cousin rolled everywhere before she started crawling. If he is not doing -anything- then I would suggest that she get him evaluated. Early intervention is better than late intervention.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Go to the doctor... im sure they will be able to tell you if there is a problem or not, or they can tell you who to talk to!!!
    sunshine89

Answer by sunshine89 at 2:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Some babies are late bloomers... as long has he can sit up he's on the right track..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 6:22 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Crawling is not a developmental milestone and many babies never crawl.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:50 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Ditto
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I would run your concerns by your child’s doctor. Pathways Awareness has an AAP-endorsed growth chart that outlines typical milestones – what your child should be doing at what age - that you can use as a check off and bring with you: http://bit.ly/6NUpfi. Schedule the appointment sooner rather than later so you can get the answers you need.
    PathwaysMom

Answer by PathwaysMom at 2:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2010