painless contractions??

Can you have contractions that you don't feel?? Sometimes it seems that my stomach tightens up alll over but I dont feel anything when it happens. I have been having menstrual like cramping low in my abdomen, I am 38 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well yea... that can happen, but it isn't a CONTRACTION... it has been shown that labor can be a "sexual" experience.... in such that it can be like orgasming instead of so much pain.
    But labor WILL BE PAINFUL... don't get your hopes up, lol! Your muscles are working out... like when you squeeze your bicep and flex.. you are contracting the muscle... but it isn't pushing anything!!! in such your stomach is squeezing... but not working to push.
    You can get an epidural... there won't be pain with that (most likely)!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Those are called Braxton hicks,they are preparing your body for the real thing, You will feel pain for sure with the real deal. It should intefiere with your walking even in the begining stages. Walking as in general walking sometimes, or Standing in place feeling something, that you have to lean on something for support.
    PajamaMama246

Answer by PajamaMama246 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• umm hun u need to go to the hospital soon as possible because that sound like u are fixing to have ur baby. i have real bad contraction's when i was like 8 months pregnant with my son and my doctor gave me some pill's to help me not have the baby to early.
    mommyloves621

Answer by mommyloves621 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• FYI... you don't have to rush to the hospital just b/c you are in labor... you can wait til you are a few mins between contractions... anywhere from 10-5 min in between unless you have been told otherwise :) I don't think you are in labor. If it keeps up in a steady pace... like every 20 mins then slowly getting closer together... then you may want to call your OB or MW... but contractions are painful. However, if you were in labor now, you are ok to have your baby... 38 weeks is just plenty safe... if you were like 36 or sooner then there might be concern. Good luck with your little one and try to get sleep now cuz you won't have it for the next few months!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• LOL 12 52
    OP It sounds like braxton hicks, contractions for labor WILL have pain. Also you don't go rushing off to the hospital just because you start labor. You most likely will be sent home. You wait til they are strong and every 5 mins.
    Oh and at 38 weeks they wont stop labor, just saying since some apparently don't know that. ( not you OP)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• ok, my contractions never hurt, they felt like what you describe. they didn't hurt in labor or weeks before labor either. are your timeable? i agree there is no need to go to the hospital. i think it is best to do most of your laboring at home, in your own clothes, without people poking at you, checking you, connecting fetal heart rate monitors to you...
    congrats on your baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I dilated to 4cm with my first pregnancy with PAINLESS contractions... everyone is different and it doesn't HAVE TO hurt. I didn't even know I was in labor until I went to the hospital for a little bit of spotting and they checked me. And I was only 33 weeks so it's a good thing I didn't go by the fact there was no pain or I may not have gotten there in time for them to stop my labor.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• when I was in labor they had me hooked up to monitors and for the first few hours they kept asking me "can you feel that?" and I couldn't. Just the tightening. But once I hit active labor it hurt like hell, I am not going to lie. It is a pain that you can handle, though.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• YES and it can very well be a REAL contraction, unlike some other people said. thats how it was for me, my doctor is the one who informed me they were contractions.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2010