How old was your child when they started washing all by their selves in the tub?

I started teaching my child around 15-18 months to wash her own private areas and by 2 she was fully washing her whole body.

She 3 now and barely needs my help at all in the tub. I put the shampoo and conditioner in her hair because she puts WAY to much, lol, but she'll scrub her hair, rinse out the shampoo and then rub the conditioner through her hair. I do help her rinse out the conditioner because it's thick and it takes some work to get out but I can't even remember the last time I had to help her wash her body.

A friend of mine said she still washes her 6 year old. This struck me as odd but maybe my daughter did things early??

How old was your child when they started washing themselves without help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is 4 and I still help him wash. He does most of it, but I wash his back, make sure he gets his feet all washed between his toes, and behind his ears. I have to wash his hair too because he freaks out about water in the eyes or ears! It drives me nuts!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:59 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Mine are all able to do for themselves by 3. An older sibling may help with rinsing hair or washing their back if they have a problem (and older sib helps a younger at bathtime) but they are self-sufficient for the most part. I think you've done a great job allowing her to learn this skill early on!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• my daughter started washing herself at 1 1/2, but none of the boys ever did this. i stopped washing them at 4 or 5...but i still tell them what to do!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:43 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My oldest started doing the whole bath/shower by himself between 3 and 4. My daughter has been doing baths by herself since she was about 4, sometimes, I need to rinse her hair but not often. My youngest is 3 and washes himself but I still do his hair at the end of his bath.
    Mommah3

Answer by Mommah3 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Its crazy, its just the kid i guess. My six year old still can't seem to wash herself and hair, and do it correctly. she doesn't even dry herself off. It drives me nuts. My two year old can wash her body by herself.. but she HATES having her hair rinsed so she still refuses to even let ME do it, haha.. I have to force it... its aweful :( but my 5 year old bathes herself completely and does it completely and dries herself off.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 10:11 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Answer to the age of washing children, Children are to be attended to know matter the growth in age... Teaching them to responsible at a early age is great, but no child should be responible to was their hair at the age of three years. As a mother you should cherish these moments and help them...
    brendabarretto

Answer by brendabarretto at 1:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2010