What do you consider to be abuse of the PA system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Lies of any kind. This is a tough question cause there's a lot of things that can be abuse of the system. The way I look at it if what ever your doing doesn't sit right with you then that could be a part of abusing the system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Someone who has been on the system for years and makes no attempts to work. Using section 8 housing while having others live with you who are not supposed to be there. Having a boyfriend who works under the table while you are on assistance not reporting the boyfriend. Allowing others to use your food card and getting actual money for the card. Just lies that leads to scamming the system. While there are families out there who truly need help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I think when you DON'T need PA to pay your rent, buy food or clothe your family, then you are scamming the system! I always understood PA as being the "safety net" that allows you to provide the BASIC NECESSITIES for your family--a food, clothing and shelter.

Beyond that, you are not prioritizing what is TRULY important. Seriously, people survived just fine WITHOUT cell phones, cable/satellite, and computers--I know I grew up in a time when NONE of those things existed--but I can afford them NOW that WE EARN the income to have those LUXURY items and more! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:29 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Someone who makes more than enough money, yet still applies, lies, receives and uses assistance.

I can understand having to lie in order to get assistance.  Sometimes the amount of money you have to make is ridiculous...you make too much to qualify, but not enough to live on...that doesn't bother me so much, if you need it.

But, I knew a couple who made more than enough to live on, and they were receieving food stamps anyway because they lied about it on their application!  It made for a posh life for them...needless to say we are no longer in contact.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

This reply was sure needed last night during the excuse, justification, whoa is me PA question. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• When I was younger I worked at K-mart and the day the welfare checks came was always the busiest every month. These ladies would come in and load up the cart with all kinds of toys or decorative stuff for the house. Not diapers, food and clothes. Then about mid month when they ran out of money they would come back with all this used crap and try to return it. Anyone who lies to get it or uses it for anything than it's intended purpose is stealing.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I dont know if i mind so much bending the truth about the boyfriend working. I was in a situation when I reported my SOs income we made 24 bucks too much for food stamps. but i recieved extra hours at work on a random because a co-worker broke her foot. Any other month I wouldve made WELL under those hours thus less money. So i went back and applied again. The system sucks. What they consider poverty, is WAY BELOW poverty. You would HAVE to have roomates to qualify for some of the assistance they offer, but if you do, you lose your assistance.

The way I see it, if you HONESTLY need it to make it, then its not abuse. Its when you apply because you think the extra money would be nice, or FUN that it becomes an issue. When you start taking funding from other people its an issue. i definitely have that problem with people who get daycare assistance by lying!! That funding is beyond LIMITED!
    Anonymous

• I worked with a girl who quit, moved in with her mom and boyfriend and claimed he lived somewhere else and got benefits. He continued to work full time so they had his income, her mother's and the welfare. I don't believe EVERYONE does this stuff though.
    Anonymous

• Breaking the rules of PA, or lying, doing things intentionally to stay on it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:37 AM on Mar. 7, 2010