My son is 3. At midnight he comes tells me he's hungry...should I feed him or do you think its a ploy to not go to bed...he was asleep, he woke up to potty?

What would you do? He didn't eat a big dinner but he did eat. I thought about offering him milk..thought that might feel his belly up..but I kinda feel bad for not feeding him.

So once again...what would you do?

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 1:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We have a rule in my house. When the kitchen is closed, you are always able to have a banana. If anyone is truely hungry, they will eat the banana. I always have bananas.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 6:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I'd give a drink of water and say "This isn't a time to eat. Bkfast will be at 6am and you can eat then. Maybe tomorrow night you should finish dinner so you won't be hungry during the night." Then tuck him back into bed.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I would find a small snack. A string cheese, half a pb&j, cup of yogurt. Something fast and easy that won't take a long time to eat. I would also sit with him and hurry along his eating, so he didn't get to stay up and play.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:38 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• i think i would give him a small snack. but if he starts to repeat the waking up regularly then i would sit him down and explain that he needs to eat dinner better. and then start to skip the midnight meals.
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I would feed my baby, if he was hunger. try for a healthy snack.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• When my daughter was 3, she also woke up quite regularly around midnight or later asking for milk. She's now 5 years old and still does that once in a while. I've always given her milk when she asks for it.
    wanita61

Answer by wanita61 at 2:15 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I have fed my kids in the middle of the night and while it gets old and tiring, my kids finally out grew this phase in their life. I also think it gives the kid security to know that he/she will not have to go hungry.
    knrenergy

Answer by knrenergy at 2:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I would feed him. Just because supper is at x time doesn't mean he's hungry at x time so it's perfectly understandable that he might not be hungry then. I never understood the strict schedule of meal times. Breakfast and lunch should be on their time table, not ours and then at supper if they aren't hungry, let it go and offer them a small snack before bed if they are hungry (yogurt, fruit, some veggies and dip, etc.).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Giving milk is fine, that is what I have always done with my girls, although they haven't done that in a while.
    Nadali

Answer by Nadali at 3:22 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I use to wake up sometimes in the middle of the night and my grandmother would give me a slice of bread with peanut butter on it and a small glass of milk.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:27 AM on Mar. 6, 2010