can anyone tell me about why a newborn baby won't suck

my grandson was born on march 2, and he can't suck his bottle. he is in nicu and is on a feeding tube. my daughter tries to feed him,, it seems like he drinks a bit..

unci

Asked by unci at 2:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Was he early? That could be the reason, I would talk to the nurses and dr in the NICU and see what they have to say on it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:22 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• If he's in there i'm guessing some thing bad happened like he was early or something else.. usually they are born to suck.. its wired in their brains to suck.. sometimes they have to be guided
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 6:21 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• the suck swallow reflex is not developed in utero until about 32 or 33 weeks. i had a son born at 32 weeks and he couldn't suck yet. don't worry, this will develop! be there for your daughter. it is very hard having a little one in the nicu :(
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:40 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Your daughter should know the answer to this. It's true that preemies often have problems suckling, controlling their body temps, and breathing among others problem. I had preemie twins in the NICU and yourdaughter really needs her momma now =]
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• With preemies, it can take a while to coordinate "sucking, swallowing, and breathing", and its pretty common. They usually start off trying a little bit and getting the rest by tube. My dtr's first bottle she drank 3cc's. It took several weeks to get her eating all of her meals via bottle, but she was doing great by the time she left NICU.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 11:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2010