I am curious if any of you moms have ever given your SONS baby dolls?

I did a whole lot of research when I was pregnant with my son (first and only child for me), and I heard about a somewhat controversial method of promoting sensitivity for males towards females by giving male infants a baby doll to play with. I am curious of other moms thoughts on this, my son is almost 20 months and I have mentioned this a couple times to his fatherand he seems to be against it(I am not surprised!). I do not see the harm, although I am not a person who likes to project into the future. I have and still see no harm even possibly being done.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 2:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• never heard of it...i'm doing the opposite with my daughter...she's getting blocks, linkin logs, hotwheels, the classic "boys toys" cause they'll stimulate her mind...no dolls
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My ds is 17 yrs old and in 11th grade. He is dating a nice girl, his 3rd "steady" girlfriend since he started high school. He plays soccer as a goal keeper, he plays football as free safety (though he's better at soccer). He's working on his Eagle Project (which is the highest rank in Boy Scouts), and is also involved in Venture Crew. He has a lot of friends, both boys and girls. He's also very polite and is really good with little kids (he's babysat and does a good job, the kids and parents both love him). He's also done a lot of volunteer work with mentoring younger Scouts, helping with a lot of kids through our Command Support Groups, and he spent a summer teaching mountain biking at a Resident Summer camp.

He also had a doll when he was little (we got him one when we had our dd, whose 15 mos younger). He played house - he was the Daddy. He's turned out ok - sensitive, but not "sissy".

I wouldn't worry :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• How your son is gonna treat a girl/women isn't gonna have anything to do with giving him a doll it's how you raise him and how he sees his father treat you and any other men in his like that he looks up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Oh, lol, I should add, that our dd also played with legos, hot wheel cars, etc. They also had a toy kitchen that they shared. Both of them played with all the toys - there wasn't a "gender specific" role. Because, after all, there are a lot of men who cook, there are a lot of girls who work on cars, etc.

As I said, he's turned out really well, and it didn't hurt him any (and I believe it's helped him). Our dd is the same way, she's a beautiful young lady, dating a nice boy, who also plays sports, is in band, and is in Scouts, has friends of both sexes, etc.

Because they were encouraged to explore and play and use their imaginations, without us doing the whole "this is for girls, this is for boys" thing, which is really limiting to their growth in the long run.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My son (19 months) has a baby doll. He loves babies and when we were over at my sisters his favorite thing to do was push my niece's baby in her stroller so we got him a doll and a stroller too. It has nothing to with making him more sensitive, he just really likes pushing the stroller.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 2:56 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I have heard of this. But that's not really why i let my boys have baby dolls. I let them have dolls because they like to play with them. Don't Daddy's take care of their babies? There's no reason why a little boy shouldn't recognize that. Both my boys LOVE their dolls and each have at least 2.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• allishot
    having dolls will stimulate her mind too if that's what she is interested in. it takes a lot of techniques (such as the scientific method) to figure out how to care for a newborn. which is often the phase that most young children practice the most with their dolls.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:03 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I don't have a son, but I would get him a doll. I have a daughter and she has everything dolls and a kitchen, blocks, cars, trains, and a handyman station. My son (if I have one) will be allowed to play dress-up and play with any toys he wants. My daughter will be able to dress however she likes and play with any toys she likes. There are inherently girl or inherently boy toys, we just assign genders to them. The kind of toys my kids play with are not going to affect their gender-identities, that is biological.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Thank you for proving my point before attempting to prove it wrong. And I never stated anything about my personal feelings on any subject so please do not assume (hopefully you know what that will make u). This is what irks me about you people, half of you can't read or choose not to because my posts get so twisted.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:31 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Actually, none of the responses you got were mean or nasty or said that you, personally, had a problem with it. I think most of the posts were saying why they don't have a problem with it, or why they would do it.

And I don't mean this in a mean way at all, because I admit that there's a lot of times that there are a lot of answers to a question that seem to miss a very obvious point, but if so many people (which, here, would mean from all different backgrounds, intelligence levels, and personal experiences) are all having a problem understanding your posts, then maybe the problem is you aren't clear enough.

Like I said though, that is NOT meant mean, just something to think about that could help if you're getting a lot of confusion. Personally, I don't see how there's anything confusing about what you're asking here.

Either way though, with your posts and your ds, it's your choice how you do it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2010