FoodStamps.....WTF?

With our economy the way it is now, how come more and more ppl are bashing those who recieve food stamps? I mean, posts bashing moms who get easter candy for their kids, saying that it's not earned money but "free" money, saying that there should be restrictions on what they buy, etc... Well guess what? I get food stamps. Yes I've gotten b-day cakes ans easter stuff for my children. The thing is though, I budgeted those in and still fed my children healthy. Trying to impose restrictions like that are crap. I work and pay my taxes, so yes, I've earned them. So should we place restrictions on what everyone else can buy? Fat ppl only fat free items, skinny ppl only whole milk and high cal food? Might as well issue vouchers for the whole nation. Can't wait to see the responses on this one

greenmom4543

Asked by greenmom4543 at 3:15 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yeaaaah... except that I work at a store that accepts food stamps and people can buy alcohol, cigarettes, candy etc... and they do. THAT's why there should be more stipulations. And it is "free" money. My husband and I work to feed our kids and keep a roof over their heads. I would work getting paid minimum wage at McDonalds before I would get food stamps...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I am sorry but when you are on a government run program yes I do believe you should be restricted in what you can get. Birthday cakes and candy are not nutritional food and shouldn't be bought with food stamps. I don't care if that makes you mad it is my opinion. Fat people not on government run programs can buy all the nasty crap they want. It is their money. You did not earn food stamps. It is a temporary assistance program. That attitude of " I pay taxes I earned it" is a pretty poor one. That is almost as bad as the one time this black lady on here said she deserves hers because she is black and haven't you heard of reparations? I also think that if you have enough " left over" for junk then maybe they should recalculate what you receive every month.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:26 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• whatever store you work at that allows this to happen is obviously doing something illegal. Alcohol and cigaretts are NOT supposed to be purchased with food stamps. stores like this are the reaso nthings are regulated
    greenmom4543

Answer by greenmom4543 at 3:54 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• anon Only thing I could think of them getting that on their food stamp card would be if they had cash assistance too, some states put the cash on the same card. I do aree you can't get that stuff on food stamps tho.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:56 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• and some states put child support on the cards as well. So how does anyone tell if it;s food part or child support?
    greenmom4543

Answer by greenmom4543 at 4:02 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• There is a way to get around restricted money use honey, it's called G-E-T-A-J-O-B. stop using your kids as an excuse to get something for nothing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• simply put because it is not fair. The working class people are tired of having to struggle and then look over to see the shopping carts of others filled sometimes even 2 carts using food stamps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• if you are using the food stamps as a temporary crutch then fine but if you are an abuser than you are lazy. My opinion and you asked. There should be restrictions. There is with wic! Don't blame the economy. are you searching everyday for a job. Are you sending out resumes? Probably not. Are you doing anything to get off the food stamps? Going to school. What is your long term goal? That is the problem...Food stamps are abused period. There should be a limit on how long you can be on assistance and what you can purchase. I don't care what your reason is. 90% of people on this are LAZY...I will say it one more time LAZY.

I am a black women...I was on food stamps for 2 years and worked my way through college. I own my home. Have new cars.. have my own business. You don't have to abuse the system. Find a way to get off that crap. I hated every minute I had to use assistance. I HATED it. But I did it to better myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I agree with the person that posted this.
    I am a SAHM and my SO works full time in construction. Our monthly bills are: Rent, Electricity, Car insurance, Cable/internet/house phone and he pays $100 a week in child support. That equals: $1670 a month. I do not work because daycare prices are outrageous. Ive done my research, no matter what job i get I will get min wage. My entire paycheck plus part of his would go to daycare, so there is NO point in me working. We get food stamps, WIC, state insurance for myself and our daughter, and heating assistance (oil).
    Here is what we get with WIC: 8 gallons of milk a month, 3 dozen eggs, 6 things of juice, and $14 a month in fruits and vegetables. Food stamps cover ONLY food. Which does include bday cake mixes, candy, and anything else that is edible but not prepared already.
    We have bought candy for Valentines day and easter. The money that would have been used on that goes... cont.
    BelloItaliano

Answer by BelloItaliano at 11:27 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I am sorry but when you are on a government run program yes I do believe you should be restricted in what you can get. Birthday cakes and candy are not nutritional food and shouldn't be bought with food stamps.

I agree 100% with Mrs.Owen
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:32 AM on Mar. 6, 2010