• In the Spotlight:

Daughter starting puberty! How can I make her feel comfortable talking about it with me?

My daughter Nooria, who is 12 turning 13, started her period yesterday. I can tell because my last pad was missing and there was a small blood stain on her panties.
She always gets very embarrassed if I mention puberty etc to her and I was wondering how I could make her feel more comfortable.
She learned about sex and babies and puberty in school and I never really discussed it with her.
Anyone else in a similar situation?

karens_babies

Asked by karens_babies at 6:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• You are way behind on this one. You need to start talking to your daughter now. Open communication with parents is a key part of pregnancy and drug prevention. Let her know that it is ok to be uncomfortable, and that the discomfort should not stop her from talking to you. Make her a "period bag" to keep in her backpack; it should have clean underwear, a couple of pads, a plastic bag to put stained underwear.

There is a wonderful book called Our Bodies, Ourselves that every woman should own; it will help you and your daughter answer questions.

Good luck...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I was the same way because I lived with my dad... but I didn't really want my mom talking to me either. My dad had my older cousin come talk to me and that helped alot because she wasn't a "parent". Maybe you could find an older woman who's closer to her age that she would feel more comfortable talking to.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 9:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My step daughter is SOO embarrassed about her having a period that she hides every thing that has to do with it. When she's had some issues in the past about it.. like.. when she clogged the toilet with a tampon..I just asked her if that was what happened, and to please not do it anymore because it messes up our pipes. And I explained to her not to be embarrassed, because she obviously was, and that all woman have periods and me and her dad know all about that stuff, its just part of being a woman. Pretty much any topic like that, if it needs talked about then talk about it. Cuz even tho she's embarrassed, she won't be for long. Just let her know, even tho she already knows.. that you've also gone through the same thing and its part of being a woman..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• You need to sit her down and have a heart to heart. She needs to know that this can be an uncomfortable, even scary time, but that you've gone through it, every woman goes through it, and you need to tell her what to expect about the changes in her body.I can't imagine not being able to talk to my mom about that. She was the first person I told when I started my period, well actually, I called my best friend, because I wasn't sure if that was indeed what it was. She had already started hers, so I asked her, and she told me yes, that was what it was, so then I called my mom. She was at work.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Get a good book and sit down and read it together. You can also have a female pediatrician talk to both of you. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 7, 2010