If you have had an episiotomy with baby #1, is it likely to tear with baby #2?

I'm not planning to have another child any time soon but I'm curious. Asuming you have the second baby with the same father is it likley that you will need an episiotomy again or that the old cut will re-open?

Melissa15

Asked by Melissa15 at 7:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Health

• Like one of the previous responders said, "there's no way to predict whether you will need an episiotomy or not with the second baby, or if you will tear". I had to be cut & sewn with my first and with the second, I didn't. They were both around 7 1/2 lb. babies, born 18 mos. apart. I think that it all depends on the size of the head and shoulders. A good Dr. will know whether or not you will need to be cut and perform the episiotomy in time, so you won't tear, IMO.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 9:51 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• why would the father have anything to do with needing an episiotomy? My sister had one with her first and with her second she didnt even tear. with me I didnt have one with my first, I tore but only enough to need 3 stitches, and with my second I didnt!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:32 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I also don't think the father of the baby has very much to do with whether or not you need an episiotomy....and there is no way to predict whether or not you would need one.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I said asuming the father is the same because of their build, I'm petite and have a narrow pelvic opening and my partner is broad, and I know some other petite women who have had children with men of bigger builds and they had an episiotomy or tore and then had children with smaller men and their babies were smaller and didn't have as wide shoulders to cause problems.
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I had one with my first delivery. And my second I didn't need one, and it only tore a tiny bit. And with my third I didn't have any tearing at all. Actually, so I kinda believe that it makes it easier for the delivery to have had one in the past, or maybe that was just having so many kids, lol.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 9:23 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I had one with my first DD and just had my second DD: No teraring and no cutting! The healing time is SO much quicker without!! Good luck

good luck

MissMorgan07

Answer by MissMorgan07 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2010