swollen legs following birth normal????

I just delivered 5 days ago and I was wondering if anyone else has ever had swollen legs and feet following delivery - I have CRAZY pitting edema. The nurse said its just the fluid shifting, but I feel like somethings wrong. Anyone ever have this and anyone have any ideas how to get rid of it?

Lori43bg

Asked by Lori43bg at 8:51 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DEfinitely not normal, can be very dangerous...My neighbor across the street had this and was admitted to hospital for a week. Get to Dr!
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• i had the same thing with my feel they got very swollen i couldnt where shoes i had to wear flip flops it only lasted a week thow
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I had huge legs and cankles after my first one was born and swelled up only slightly with my second (she was not full term). It is the fluids in the body readjusting. Keep your legs propped up above your heart as much as possible.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I would say give it about 2 weeks and if the swelling hasn't gone down by then, see your Dr.

I too, had swelling for awhile after the birth of my second son. Drink plenty of liquids (water especially) and the edema should go away. Best wishes!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 9:54 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Thanks everyone...you all made me feel better. I'll definitely keep an eye on it still. :)
    Lori43bg

Answer by Lori43bg at 10:05 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• After I had my daughter my legs and feet were so swollen I couldn't walk more than a few steps at a time.They literally felt like they were going to explode! It was so bad they had to bring me mens hospital socks to wear because nothing else would fit on my feet & I normally wear a size 4 shoe in childrens. (just to give ya an idea) I also felt like something was wrong with me. In the hospital they told me it was fluid retention from the IV. Made sense. I just kept an eye on it and it went away about 2 weeks after I delivered.
    BryanasMommy

Answer by BryanasMommy at 11:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• If you had IV fluids during labor, it increases the edema you might experience postpartum. (Including what is called "engorgement" in the breasts - which in many cases is fluid build up and not actual engorgement with milk.) In that case, it falls under the range of normal.

If you did NOT have IVs during labor, then I'd say it's something to get checked out - rarely, cases of pre-eclampsia can actually occur shortly after birth. So you may want to get your BP checked.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:32 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I don't remember how long it lasted, but oh my goodness YES! I remember that I would sit in the glider and put my legs up on the ottoman to nurse. I would cross my legs, at the ankles. I would actually have a deep pit from where I crossed my legs, there was that much fluid built-up!

After a while, I had a few nights of horrible sweating. After that, the swelling went down.

If you're concerned, call the doctor. I was told in the hospital that the water retention was normal, but that was specific to my situation.
    Anonymous

• Drink a lot of water to help get rid of it. It sounds counter-productive, but it's true.
    Anonymous

• Are you going to the bathroom a lot? Your body should be flushing the excess fluids out.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2010