Why do people say....

I'm a god-fearing person/christian/woman/man, if they believe that their god is so loving and forgiving and perfect. Why the need for fear?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's supposed to allude to their credibility. The idea is if they fear god they will obey his word and be more trust worthy than most. It's like saying, "You can trust me because God says I am supposed to be a good person and I am to afraid to go against his word, so I am a good person." To me though, if you have to work that hard to seem trustworthy, chance are you - at the core - aren't worth my time. You shouldn't have to fear god to be a good person - it should just be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I think "God Fearing" referring to you obey his word. I think it's just a term...I don't take it literally. But it's not a bad thing to do what Heavenly Father knows best!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• It is (supposed to be) a term of reverence. But it serves its purpose well... FEAR ME!

IF you READ the bible, you will see that your messiah is not a "god of love", he is a violent master. Anyone who can argue THAT after READING the ENTIRE text (might I add, 5 times now), can clearly see the violent, sadistic nature of this "God".
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I get that it's supposed to be a term of reverence, but I don't understand why people chose to use god-fearing instead of say god-loving? Is it because if you look beneath the surface, you do fear your god? I mean you only have to read the bible to see the despicable acts he is capable of.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• God is loving and forgiving but if you believe in Hell then you should fear sin and fear not asking God for forgiveness, or working towards living a less sinful life.

I don't fear God, and I don't use the term "God fearing person", but I don't want to live a life where I don't worry about my sins and where I don't try to do better. I think the term should mean you are a person who is conscious of your sins and are trying to improve. Like most terms though it has lost most of the intended meaning through over use.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• The word fear in this phrase has a different meaning. It is more of a healthy respect such as one has for their father who is a strong man.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• It's not fear as in being afraid of, it's a reverence, a respect for who God is & who we are in comparison to His great awesomeness. And yes, He is most definitely a God of love. Would you allow your only child to sacrifice His life for people you don't love?? God is the ultimate in love... He can't not love, because it is who He is.
    You have to read the Bible in context to understand the "violence" and other acts that so many see as being so terrible. We don't always know the inside details of why people do what they do until it is explained to us, then we see the whole picture & it all makes sense. That's how it is with God. He sees the whole picture of everything, we don't, so it's foolish to judge & criticize His acts. We, as humans, don't have the ability to fully understanding God.
    It's sad that so many don't have a true understand of who God is, yet choose to so quickly reject Him without learning more about Him...
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• ITS NOT FEAR ITS LOVE
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• ITS NOT FEAR ITS LOVE

Than why not say love?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Different words can mean different things in different contexts, and in this case it has a lot to do with the translation, and with archaic usage of the word "fear"... in that sense it's referring to an earlier usage which is more akin to the way we use the word "awe" now. So if they are saying that they hold God in awe - as others said, revering is the meaning in this context. They don't mean they are scared.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2010