What is the best cleaner to use on a glass shower door that has built up scum? I have literally tried everything!

maw_maw

Asked by maw_maw at 9:54 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• For me COMET works like a dream....but you said youve tried everything. Um, have you tried spraying it and letting it "soak" for a bit before wipeing it off?
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 9:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• "Cerama Brite" I believe is what it is called. Works like a dream. I've had to use it on two homes that we moved into because the bathroom was DISGUSTING. The fumes do stink, so open a window. But you will have crystal clear shower doors again. Just follow the directions, and you may have to do 2 applications. It is an abrasive designed for use on glass (for glass cooktops as well) to get off the nasties, but not damage the glass.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:02 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I have a glass shower door also and I use scrubbing bubbles spray and let it set about 5 minutes then use the magic eraser to get everything off. I don't know if you tried that but it works for me and I clean the shower about once every 3 months. I hate doing it, but the combo makes it very easy.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:15 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Here are a few things we've tried: a lime/scale remover (Lime Away, something like that) sometimes works, we have used a product called KaBoom which works well, spray on and let it work and rinse off. What my hubby does is uses a scrubbie and cheapie toothpaste - it cleans and leaves a shine! Works like a charm on nasty stuff and doesn't smell bad either :-)
    mystic-mom

Answer by mystic-mom at 10:16 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Vinegar works great!
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 1:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

I do this, also. The scrubbing bubbles softens it up a bit and the magic eraser gets it totally clean. We also squeegee the glass after we shower, so ours stays clean for a long time.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Vinegar would be a great one to use, or lime away should work
    granmma

Answer by granmma at 1:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• CLR or Lime Away should work, but they are dangerous and abrasive chemicals.
    Have you tried the Magic Eraser? Works like a dream on most things, for me..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2010