how to deal with a colic baby

so my son is 3 weeks old since the day he wasborn all he does is cry allot way more than my other two kids did when they were babies he would be nursed then fed with a bottle if he were still hungry changed burped rocked put down an then the crying begins so ill go pick him up repeat everything he does not like to be swaddled i notice i tried an he screams louder so then i just repeat but night is the worst he wants to be held none stop an its been going on for 3 weeks now what are remedies for a colic baby any ideas would be greatfuly helped!!!! thanks

ohmama213

Asked by ohmama213 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• colic is so over rated. babies i think cry just because it is something they do. there is no reason for it or anything, its just something they do. some babies are quiet and dont cry much, and some babies just scream and cry. they are all different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I'm sorry mommy =[ I have no idea.... except maybe the bottles are giving him gas? It would depend on what is in the bottle though. Like my daughter could take BM fine but if I tried to give her enfamil in a bottle she would get fussy....

I didn't know that colic was prevelant in newborns? I really am not sure about colic, I'm sorry =[ I was colicky when I was a baby and my dad said he would hold me and go 'round the table in circles over and over again until I STFU lol
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My son was AWFUL colic. Even my "adoptive" mom said hes the worst she ever seen. We heard about special swaddle blankets that work really well, but you said he hates that. We tried "gripe water" (you can get it at the walmart pharmacy). Its supposed to really help, but my DS just threw it up. Overall, you have to just keep trying new things until something works. My DS was finally switched to soy fromula...that helped some too. Good luck!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 9:59 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• i try all night with him but he cries allot an he is ok with nurtramigen lipil because he cant have the goodstart or anything else but ill walk him rock everything itll stop an then ill try to put him down an as soon as i go to lay down an get comfy to pass out to sleep he starts to cry again soooo it baffles me on what could be the problem an its not gas because he is poopn an fartn ok so i dunno lol
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• earphones
    MONIQUEI.J

Answer by MONIQUEI.J at 10:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• remember that hespent 9 months all warm inside you and now hes out and his arms and legs move all over and its not as warm, hes only been here 3 weeks:) i would just cradle him and love on him,put him to your breast alot.he's probably just scared?not scared scared but you know he's in a different place now.lol good luck!
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 12:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Lots of holding and baby wearing and frequent small feeds. Interesting research: "He discovered that infants with supposed colic do not cry more often or at particular times of the day; they just cry longer each time. His suggestion is that such crying is normal but may be prolonged by modern practices such as longer intervals between feedings. Dr. Barr compared the results of a study done of the !Kung of South Africa with the typical ways in which US and European infants are handled and fed. The !Kung carry their babies with them constantly and feed the babies whenever they cry. Babies may be fed 3 or 4 times an hour for a minute or 2 at each feeding. In the US, the average number of feedings in a day is 7 and the average length of time between feedings is 3 hours. So Barr asked US mothers to carry their babies at least 3 hours a day. These moms reported that their babies cried only half as long as babies whose moms did not."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Get a sling and wear him as much as you can, and nurse him as much as he wants. At three weeks, he may want to nurse a LOT, and he may cry to tell you that. He could just be like my youngest brother- he cried almost non stop if my mom wasn't around for the first six months or so. He was a very needy baby. Everyone's lives may have been easier if my mom had just worn him all day, but she never thought of doing that. DD cried a lot when she was newborn- hadn't quite reached colic levels ( a minimum of 3 straight hours of crying), but there was a lot of crying if she got put down. Wearing her, nursing on demand, rocking her belly to belly, and the Beatles (weird, I know) got us through it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My son was extreamely colicy as well, the thing that helped me the most is a book called "Happiest Baby on the Block". It goes into different techniques to help calm a little one called the cuddle cure...I highly recommend it to anyone who has a very fussy baby...you can get the book pretty much anywhere and it is an easy read
    suthrnpeaches

Answer by suthrnpeaches at 3:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• they have gas drops to help relieve the ach's they have, if if gets bad enouff simalic makes a formula for colic.. showd a change with in 2 days of my daughter. the purple can...
    bobowazhere

Answer by bobowazhere at 5:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2010