Do you think drinking should be banned from resturants just as smoking has been?

Me and my mother in law were in an argument earlier because she's mad that they've banned smoking in restaurants and she thinks drinking is just as dangerous. I thinks thats ridiculous ...she also called my dad and hubby alcoholics because they have a few beers on the weekend. I am so annoyed

3beautbabies

Asked by 3beautbabies at 10:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Health

• I think it would be stupid if they banned alcohol. Now a drink limit I can understand. Banning would just IMO make people not want to go out and eat. Sometimes when I go out to eat I like to order a drink or 2 before or with dinner. For me it's something nice you get to do that you normally won't do at home.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 10:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• It IS banned unless they have a license for it. Maybe they should require a license for smoking and they could bring it back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I second the limit thing to avoid drunken issues. You go to a restaurant to eat,not get piss drunk. Go to a bar for that. Also,in my opinion,alcoholism is present when your normal schedule includes drinking at a normal interval. If you don't stray from your usual few beers EVERY weekend,you have an addiction. You don't need to be falling down drunk to have a problem.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• The smoking was banned because it was a second hand smoke issue. Those who don't want to injest smoke had to as a result of those who were able to smoke in public places. Although I don't condone drinking and it's bad for you, there isn't any side effects to those around you when you drink. I can't get liver damage because your drinking next to me lol
    I don't care for BARS in resturants...where they have a place for just DRINKING. People get drunk sometimes when there are places for exclusively just drinking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• "You don't need to be falling down drunk to have a problem. "

No but it has to be causing an actual PROBLEM. Just because you have a couple drinks on the weekends and it's part of your routine that doesn't mean you are an alcoholic. You have a problem if your drinking interferes with your life or you are placing it's priority above your family and your livelihood.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• They don't drink EVERY weekend only every now and then also I agree on the drinking limit but the question is about banning it all together.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 10:51 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• No I don't agree with her. When someone is smoking in a restaurant, it is affecting EVERYONE around them and is intruding on eveyone's health whether they like it or not. When someone is drinking a beer, how is that affecting everyone else? Yes there are always the people who get drunk and cause problems or drive home, but what about the normal people who just want to have a glass of wine with dinner? Why should a few bad apples ruin it for the whole bunch? Anything can be dangerous if its abused or done in excess. But only the things that immediately affect other innocent people who do not want to be affected, should be banned.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My opinion is smoking even one cig. effects everyone around you weather they like it or not they have to breathe it in now drinking a beer( UNLESS your getting drunk) effects NOONE.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 10:54 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My son got asthma from my mother in law smoking around him while babysitting him and when I told her he has asthma now so NO smoking around him I still caught her smoking sitting next to him on the couch. He had it when he was 2 he's 9 now luckily its gone.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 10:56 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• By the way she was never supposed to smoke around him in the first place.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 10:57 AM on Mar. 6, 2010