How do I get my 19 month old to keep his hands out of the front of his diaper?

He used to have to play with his belly button to go to sleep, but now he has moved a little lower. We were at church last night at my older kiddoes Upward basketball awards; and he would not stop sticking his hands down his diaper to play with his thing. It was terribly embarrasing. I know that it is just a phase in his development and I shouldn't be worried; I just want to know if anyone has any ideas to get him to stop.

lilkriskat

Asked by lilkriskat at 10:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Okay, look.. I am so sick of these totally perverted, twisted questions. GET OVER IT MOM>>> YOUR CHILD WILL PLAY WITH HIMSELF or HERSELF. It's a freaking normal thing for a child to discover himself. By posting these types of questions, you all look like perverts! Sick....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• At his age I'd take his hand out and give him a toy to play with. He's not old enough to have the not here,later in your room talk yet. I wouldn't worry tooo much about what other people think. I'm sure their kids do the same thing.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• There is discipline that should be taught at that age.  A time and place for everything. 

It's not normal in public.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• LOL Gosh that first anonymous is a bit uptight! My brother and sister in law are GREAT parents.. and guess what! their son plays with his penis.. Its just what boys do, My other brother... his son plays with it too. Just try to teach him not to, pull it hands away and say don't do that. Eventually, He won't do it.. its a boy thing.. it happens..
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 10:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• MJ BN FE I had to laugh! your answer made it sound like yoour brother's kids play with HIS penis! *guess what? their son's play with his penis* I know you didn't mean it that way! funny though!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• MJ BN FE~ WRONG>>>> WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE????

It is NORMAL HEALTHY BEHAVIOR. WHY WOULD YOU DAMAGE YOUR CHILD BY TEACHING THEM SHAME??? (which is EXACTLY what you do when you teach a young child that they can NOT touch their self)

He will eventually learn, like all children do, that this is not something you do in public. BUT, he is still a BABY. He can not learn "do it later when you have some alone time, all to yourself, OK?". Just deal with it. There is nothing wrong, and you are correct, it is a developmental phase, it will pass only with time though. He has found his best friend for life, he just needs to learn when is a good time to play with it, and when is not.

Give him time, but please do not make him feel that it is wrong by telling him no, or punishing him for a normal, healthy behavior. (popping hands for touching his penis, really? you're sick)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• DD does that. If we are going somewhere and I don't want her to get her hands in her diaper, I put a onesie on underneath her clothing (she is 15 months, and just made the progression from belly button to "what's under here?"). Beyond that, there's not a whole lot that can be done because he won't understand why he shouldn't do that in public yet. He will learn eventually that there are things that just aren't okay in public, whether it's playing with himself or picking his nose, but he still has some time before he reaches that stage.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Just put on onsies when you go out.. he can't get to his diaper then. And at home... just don't worry about it much.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• AmiJanell is so right on this one. My son and daughter went through this phase at the same age. Not only would they stick their hand down their diaper, but they also would take off their diapers. I just put them in onesies. They never wore shirts at home or out and about. It never bothered them and they just left their diapers alone.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• A belt. :) Walmart and target both sell them and for a reasonable price, double duty little suckers ( I have used them on ALL three of my boys) keeps the pants UP and the hands OUT.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2010