Pretty Bad Headache for 3 days now...

At the beggining of this week I finally got on the ball with changing my lifestyle to become healthier. Previous to this decision I drank only soda and coffee all day every day because that is the ONLY thing anyone in this house besides my daughter drinks. Well I went out and bought a case of water and some cranberry juice for myself. That is all I have been drinking this week. In the last 3 days I have had a pretty bad headache, like my head throbs everytime I move. Is this from the change in diet? Is there anything I can do to ease it? Tylenol doesnt help at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It is a caffeine headache.
    I hate to say it, but caffeine (like any other drug addiction) should not be taken on cold turkey. Try a cup of unsweetened caffeinated tea to help ease it. If you were living only off of pop, coffee & tea, well... you may need to take as much as a month, cutting out a little every few days to wean yourself off.
    I get horrible caffeine headaches, and am also prone to migraines (about 3 times a month). Caffeine is one of the things I take when I feel a migraine coming on, along with aspirin, and a TON of water.

Just have a little caffeine- this is the perfect example of doing too much, too soon. The first things that get changed are usually the drastic ones (like a caffeine addiction), and have ill affects, even though it is GOOD for you. Take it a bit slower, and work on your daily diet & activity levels, and continue to work on caffeine more slowly.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Yeah, your body is detoxing from the Caffine. Crazy isn't it, that our bodies are that addicted to it??? I know a lot of people that have gone off of caffinated soda/coffee and the like and have had these headaches.
    They do go away though, so hang tight! I'd take some tylenol or advil or something in the mean time.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:59 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• also adding this... when I use caffeine to ward off a headache, I use caffeine pills. I am not suggesting that you switch to them, but get a bottle of 100 mg (the equivalent to 2 cups of coffee) and cut them in 1/2, take one of those instead of drinking coffee or pop, and you will get the caffeine without the sugar and calories. then you can cut them in 1/4 as you continue to wean off.

I know that suggestion sounds like a drug treatment program, but it actually is. Caffeine is the most widely consumed drug in america, and it is hard to get off of, it seems like it is in EVERYTHING! lol

You should be proud of your choices though, and plug through it- lifestyle changes are hard. if you ever need someone to whine at, PM me... Been there, Done that, and I know how much it stinks! After having kids I dropped over 100lbs of baby weight, and have maintained for a couple of years now... It's hard work!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:02 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Yep- caffeine headache. I got them when I went off caffeine almost completely- I still drink one cup of hot tea in the morning to stay human. Caffeine being addictive, withdrawal will happen when you quit it, and it will be worse if you go cold turkey, like ObbyDobbie said. When I get them, I head for the Earl Grey- straight or with a little sugar (honey is good too). A little caffeine is good for the headaches as you are cutting it out.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2010