is there anything with feeding my kids just salad for lunch?

I mean I know it is healthy for you andmy kids love salad with ranch dressing they are 5 and 2 first time I fed them salad for lunch, but cause they wanted salad so I went ahead and gave them salad. Normally I give them either peanut butter and jelly or I give them ramon noodles, but can I start giving them instead of that just salad? I am trying to get everyone in the home to start eating healthy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• NOTHING wrong with it, but make sure that you put a bunch of cut up veggies, beans (like kidney, canalini-white kidney, black beans, or chickpeas) for protein, and go LITE (not lite as in low fat) on the dressing. It is a complete meal, and you should be so happy that your kids like to eat salads! Good going for exposing them to REAL foods.

BTW- ramen is HORRIBLE for them. EAK!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• salads aren't as healthy as you would think. lettuce is considered "negative calories", meaning your body can't fully digest them, they have no face value calories, and your body works extra to try to digest and in turn your body is burning calories off, and the lettuce is of no nutritional value....just a filler.
    If you had things on your salad like ham, eggs, dressings, bacon bits, crutons and such...that is where the good bulk of your calories and such are coming from, but it can actually be more calories than you need. Dressings are so bad for you unless they are oil/vinegar based.
    If your loading your salad with GREEN veggies, a little cheese (dairy), ham/turkey/chicken (protien) and maybe a slice of bread on the side with PB or some fruit or something then you have a healthy balanced lunch.
    Lettuce and Dressing isn't healthy.
    Because you have "kids" they need extra calcium and such, so they should be drinking Milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• nope. We have nights where salad and whole grain rolls are the meal. Sometimes it has chicken or steak some nights not.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• ObbyDobbie I didn't know ramon noodles were bad for them. They love them achually if it were up to them besides the salad they would eat them everyday all day if I let them lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• salad is fine -- just not only lettuce and dressing. I'd put in some protein (meat and or cheese or egg etc) and some others veggies (broc., cherry tom, bean sprouts, carrot -- are typically hits with my kids -- or and maybe some /yellowred peppers etc.).
    That would make it a complete meal. And light on the dressing (esp. if its ranch or some other creamy style)
    My kids LOVE salad too.
    oh the adding baby spinach idea is great too, they never notice it but get all kinds of extra... I tend to use a mixed salad rather than straight salad.
    As they get older you can intro them to diff salad dressing (esp. the lighter ones) and add in seeds/nuts/dried fruits etc) and really start o have fun with your salad. LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Because you have "kids" they need extra calcium and such, so they should be drinking Milk.

for your info I didn't say anything about drinking and my kids do drink milk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• OP- I was not trying to sound rude to you, I hope I did not come across that way! I have some awesome kid friendly recipes, and am more than willing to talk nutrition with you. Personally, we are vegetarians, that is a decision I made for our overall health... BUT, realizing that most people do eat meat, use dairy, etc- I used to- it can be hard to know exactly what IS good, and what should be avoided, and what the kids can digest at their ages (their bodies are so different than ours- children under the age of 5-7 can not digest pork, it rots in their body, they lack the proper enzymes & intestinal flora that is needed to do so until their odies mature... so, pork products are of no nutritional value to a child under that age.)
    Like I said, wish to talk nutrition and get some ideas- send me a message! :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:29 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My kids love salad too, and sometimes we will have a salad as a meal. We usually add in some extra veggies (carrots, red cabbage, cukes) and put cheese and sometimes meat (bacon, ham, tuna, shrimp, seafood stix) or chopped hard cooked egg. My kids do not like very much dressing so they go easy on that, they like the Italian vinagrette dressing. Every once in a while we will put tortilla strips, sunflower seeds or croutons on- for a bit different flavor and crunch.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• what are you putting on that salad? what lettuce?

my kids love salad, but I put a lot of fun stuff on it.

we use the spring greens mix - hard cooked eggs, grated cheese, nuts, croutons, meat pieces (sometimes ham, bacon...), extra vegetables.

we do it as adults - so why not for kids.

as long as you're adding enough to make it healthy.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:39 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• we get the mixed salad it has carrots in it and those like pea looking things (LOL) and it has radishes in it we add crusants and sometimes, but not always baccon bits and I put cheese in it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2010