With more than 1 cat would you use 1 litter box or 2?

I have 3 cats. And we seem to have this huge problem with the cat litter box. Even though we scoop it everyday (sometime several times a day) and change it once a week it still smells.
The cat litter for multiple cats does NOT work. We have tried every brand in the stores.

So my questions are: If you have more than 1 cat, do you use 1 cat litter box or more? One for each cat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have 4 cats and 4 litterboxes. I have a 900 sq. Ft. house. 3 cats you should have 3 boxes.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I had 2 cats at one time we only used 1 litter box. What we did is bought one of those deep plastic toots and cut a cirlce in the top of it so that the cat and jump into it when they need to it worked.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I have 2 cats and have 1 box.. I use scoop away and scoop it out several times a day, every day.. It sucks. So ready for warmer weather so they can go back out side most of the time..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:16 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• For two cats, I would have one litter box. However, IME when you have three cats, you need two litter boxes.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:17 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• You need at least one more litter box, cats do not like to share litter boxes (cranky little things lol) I have 4 indoor cats and most of the time I can get away with 3 litter boxes since its a momma kitty and her 9 month old kittens, they just seem more willing to share. I use scoop away and we scoop daily and the litter gets completely dumped weekly and fresh goes in. The general rule of thumb is 1 box per cat but not everyone has room for that many litter boxes. You are always going to have the occasional unavoidable holy cow that seriously stinks box, just like humas cats eat things they shouldnt and regret it later.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:38 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Also you may want to have your cats checked for urinary issues, if it is really bad there could be an issue. Many cat foods actually help cause the urinary problems, we learn this the hard way years ago.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I have two and have one box. We use arm and hammer oder control and only have to scoop once a day. If I had any more though, I'd move up to two boxes.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:47 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My parents had three cats and one box, but they also were outside/inside cats, spent half their time outdoors finding small animals to drop on the living room floor lol. If they spent most of their time indoors, I would say at least two boxes for the thre of them.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• we have 2 cats. they use the same litter box but theyre sisters so dont have an issue sharing. the older 1 is mainly outside so she only uses the litter box i think at nite. not sure since shes outside at nite. she manages to find her way in and out somehow. however...the younger 1 is gettin curious and we let her out today for a lil bit since it was like 50 so she prob went outside like her older sis. when the weather gets warmer the 2 cats will be outside like all the time so 1 litter box is more than plenty
    tcchick2006

Answer by tcchick2006 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I have 2 cats, and one litter box. They share just fine, always have.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2010