• In the Spotlight:

For those of you who have had braces. Can you tell me what to expect wearing them?

I'll be getting them soon, and would like to know what to expect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OH YES! LoL I had them when I was 12-14 yrs old. If you are getting metal braces You can expect monthly visits to the orthodontist where they will replace the rubber bands, and tighten the braces. Dont expect to eat corn on the cob anymore. You will have to cut off all the pieces like you were having regular corn. Anything sticky will get stuck in the braces and you will have to use something to pick it all out. Floss and brush more than 3 times a day. Also, if you bang your mouth on anything expect to have your braces indented into the insides of your lips for a little while. LoL my younger cousin accidentally head butted me in the mouth when I had them and I was bleeding and felt the indentation.

However ALL of that is worth it! Just think of how gorgeous your teeth will be!!! :)
    BelloItaliano

Answer by BelloItaliano at 11:13 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• they feel really wierd at first, but you get used to them. when you have them tightened it'll hurt for a couple days until you get used to it...so before you go in to get them tightened take a tylenol! lol
    don't drink DARK sodas....they can stain your teeth and make your teeth darker on the outside of where the braces are lol so when you get them off you'll have white spots where they were lol.
    The best part about braces are that you have fantastic looking teeth afterwards, and you get to pick out band colors when you go in! yaya! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Oh yes, it's worth it, I'm sure. I've wanted these since i was 12 and my parents never got me any. So, now I'm getting them as an adult. lol.
    -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I've got the Invisaligns right now and wouldn't ever get metal braces. I'm glad I opted for them.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• i'm going to be honest, the part that hurts the most is putting the caps in the back that they stick the wires into. that was the most painful part for me but it goes away right after and they make you bite down on it yourself so you can take it as easy as you can, but just hurry up and do it cause you're just making it worst for yourself lol. it's gonna feel awkward for a while but you'll get used to them and when they replace your rubber bands you'll feel them tugging and pulling a little bit but it shouldn't hurt at all. i agree with the person who posted before that the tightening is urgh too. it doesn't hurt but it does make your teeth feel really tight and super close together. it'll be sore if anything
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 11:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• stay away from anything sticky like carmels, if you absolutely have to drink soda only do so through a straw otherwise you will have little square stains on your teeth when they come off, no popcorn trust me it is not worth it when the pieces get stuck. Oh and carry a toothbrush with you EVERYWHERE trust me you will always be getting something stuck in them lol. Be careful kissing your SO lol until your aware of where they are he could get a cut lip (learned that the hard way in high school lol).

When they first go on you feel like something is pushing your lips out lol I dont remember how long that feeling lasted but it annoyed me. oh and the taste of the cement they use is nasty lol it always turned my stomach when they had to use it. just remember to keep a reliable pain reliever on hand when they go on and when you have adjustments done :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:29 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I had them for three years in my teens. My teeth were very crowded and very crooked. I even had to have oral surgery at one point. The braces for the first week made my mouth VERY sore, to the point I was only eating soft food. After that, it eased up, and though it would be sore after being tightened, it wasn't bad and was usually better the next day.

Definitely stock up on wax at first, though, so you don't tear up the insides of your lips!
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 11:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I got mine at age 14 (long time ago) and had them till spring of when I was 16 yrs old . bottoms were more painful than the top when you first get them in all honesty i loved mine. Be prepared for tylenol for the sore gums and cankers on your lip from them rubbing on them .
    Harley_Emmie

Answer by Harley_Emmie at 3:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2010