How do you know when it's warm enough to take a baby on a walk?

I know this probably sounds like a stupid question....but I'm a young mom and I'm trying to do everything right with my daughter but I'm currently a stay at home mom and all I do is sit cooped up in the house and I'm going stir-crazy!

The temp here has been about mid-30's to mid 40's regularly and sunny and today it is supposed to get up to 44 and "feel like" 39.

My daughter is 5 months old, hasn't been sick at all yet.

If I bundle her up, would it be okay to take her out in her stroller or is it too cold?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make sure something is over her face, even if it's light....put a hat on her and bundle her up really well. she should be fine. Just remember that they should wear at least one more layer than you are wearing. That's what they typically say when you want to keep them warm enough at babies/kiddos.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• The rule is, dress your baby in clothes that you would be comfortable wearing. If you overdress and they sweat, then you risk hypothermia from excessive sweating. Yeah, sound weird- but google it, you'll see what I mean.

Unless you are below 15 Fahrenheit, you should not be overly concerned about nippy noses. just keep fingers and toes warm, and a little hat'll be fine.
    40 is PLEANTY warm to take a baby out. even better, use a sling/wrap and you can stay out as long as you want and baby will be perfectly toasty!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:21 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• if you're cold - baby's cold.

BUT babies are much easier to bundle up and take for walks. in the stroller have a couple nice toasty blankets, hat, mittens and go.

if we stayed in because of the cold my kids would never have gone outside...
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:29 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• As long as you bundle her up she will be fine. I disagree with the suggestion to cover her face. That is not needed at those temps. Maybe if it is below freezing and you are out for a long time.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I took my 5 month old DD for a walk yesterday and it was in the low 30's. I bundled her up, put a hat on her and took an extra blanket. She loved it. It's warmer today so I'll be taking her for another walk when she wakes up from her nap. Have fun!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't worry - my 3 month old & I have been out walking since it hit 40 last week. She loves it, I just stick a hat on her & make sure her hands are covered by a blanket & we're good! The sunshine will be good for both of you!!!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Put one more layer then you have and then put the canopy of the stroller down and put a blanket over that so that the wind isn't getting her. Get out and take a walk. My kids are older, but they are outside as we speak riding bikes in the driveway with their hats and mittens on!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Always put one more layer of clothes on your baby than you have on yourself. Example: If it's sunny but with a breeze, put a long sleeve shirt and sweater on your baby, with pants & socks. It might not be cold enough for you to wear a sweater, but baby needs it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2010