Is 37 too old to conceive? Should I try clomid to try to make it happen fast?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• My mother was 1 month shy of 38 when I was born. Though, at her age she did have some lasting complications from my birth (more related to how she was forced to labor and give birth- it was the first 1/2 of the 80's).

No, I do not think it is too old, and adding drugs to the equation only ups your risk of complications. Do your research first- it is not without risk.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but get in good physical condition BEFORE conception, or you will have a horrible time in recovery. I was very young with my 3 (had all three by 22), and even with youth on my side, being fit made a huge difference in my pregnancy and birth experience, opposed to the pregnancy that I went into unprepared for (physically).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My mom concieved her last @ 39. She didn't have a problem and didn't have to take anything to increase chances.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• My daughter is 37 and expecting her second child. She had her first at 35 after having married at 31. She also has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, so her babies are twice over miracles. She did well the first time and is doing well this time.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:29 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I almost took clomid after trying for 6 years. I had decided I'd start it in January at the start of the year, but got pregnant over the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Clomid is for women who don't ovulate. I was taking ovulation tests and only showing to ovulate once every 3 months or so. If you are ovulating then Clomid is not for you.

For me, the cut off is 35. The risk of Downs Syndrome goes up for women at 35, and then goes way up at 40. For me, the rate goes up enough at 35 that I don't want any more pregnancies after that. Also, I just don't want to be in baby mode again after 35 and having a kid at 35 means I'd be menopausal by the time they graduated high school. I just don't want to be that old by the time all of my kids graduate and move out.

Only you can decide if 37 is too old for you and your husband.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• You cant just go in the dr. & say "Give me some clomid". It doesnt work that way. You have to show a medical need for it (not ovulating)
    Anonymous

• The standard at this age is to try for 6 months on your own and then see your OB if you aren't successful. Good luck!
    Anonymous