getting a puppy need a little advice.

Ok so for the last few months we have been thinking about getting a puppy. A couple months back we found a person who's dog was about to have puppies. The mom is a chiwiwa pom mix not so much pom. The dad is a chiwiwa pug mix. So the puppies will be ready tomorrow and we decided to get one. We are getting a boy. So our son is great with animals so that's not my consern. I have almost always had bigger dogs. I have been around lots of small ones and thought they were fun. Is there a certain kind of food that is better for them? What about bones to teeth on? Any extra information about the breeds would be great to . I have done some recherch myself. Any advice would be great. Please no bashing we want a puppy for our son to grow up with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Pets

• www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Pick a food that is 3 stars or above.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:50 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Socialization is very important for puppies with people and other dogs. Stay away from rawhide, those bones can actually cause many problems especially GI issues. If you still want to use Rawhide get bones that are big so that the dog will have a harder time swallowing it and onlyl give it when you can supervise the dog. I like Kongs,soup marrow bones, anything that is not easy to destroy. Crate training would be a good idea as well and not just for housebreaking. As far as food goes stay away from foods that are cheap. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 6, 2010

• They tend to be full of fillers and poor quality ingredients. You might want to go to the pet store before getting the pup and take a notebook. Write down different brands and then check them out on this site http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ It is a great resource for different dog foods. I personally feed my dogs a holistic diet because so many of the foods at the regular pet stores or grocery store are not as great as people have been led to believe
    KyliesMom5

• Puppies definitely need things to chew on and play with. I always have a chew toy called a Nylabone. They are durable and last a long time. Kongs are also great durable chew toys and provide a different texture for your pup. My dogs also like to have something soft to chew on, so I have a durable clothe toy for them to chew on too. You should watch your pup if he is playing with cloth chew toys to make sure he doesn't actually eat any of it which can cause serious intestinal problems.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Little dogs like that can pack some powerful breath!! There is a special food for chihuahuas and tiny mouthed dogs that is these huge dry kibble nuggets that help them keep their teeth clean. A 7 pound dog would get like 2-3 nuggets 2x daily. The nuggets are HUGE and the little dogs love them.

Little dogs get fat super easy. Even half a pound over weight for a dog who is supposed to be 7 pounds-- that's like 8% extra weight. For the average woman-- that's like gaining 15 lbs!! Keep the dog's intake and exercise under control. Even if the puppy is cute you have to say no sometimes!

I'd definitely get a crate fro the puppy. Dogs LOVE crate training. It gives them a safe feeling when you're away and prevents dangerous and messy adventures. Like chewing electrical wires or pooping in the house.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• For a small dog, get a food that is made for small breeds - it does make a difference. Small dogs require more calories per pound than larger dogs, but watch feeding amounts to avoid obesity.

Teeth are a big concern for small dogs so make sure to get supplies to brush teeth and do it daily starting from when the dog is a puppy. They will lose the puppy teeth, but the sooner they get used to it as part of their routine, the better.

Avoid hard chew toys as they can break teeth (Nylabones, beef bones, etc.). I used to work with a veterinary dentist and we saw broken teeth from stuff like this all of the time. Hard rubber toys that have some give and durability are the best.

Training is a must. Small dogs need just as much socialization and training as big dogs (sometimes more) so don't let this important aspect of raising your puppy go by the wayside. Obedience and lots of exposure to new things and people are a must!
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:48 AM on Mar. 7, 2010