Can a Pregnant 16 yr old girl marry an 18 yr old boy without parents consent in the state of ohio?

And move out of parents house??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes. However, you would need to go through the emancipation process FIRST. Prove your parents unfit, be emancipated or have your boyfriend stand up and volunteer to become your guardian in place of unfit parents. Yes, it can be done.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

• I hope not because 16 year olds are way to young to be getting married, A 16 year old getting marriied and pregnant is stressful enough, so chances are the marriage will not last very long.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 12:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• For Ohio: The age of consent is eighteen. With parental consent, males under the age of 18 can marry and females at age sixteen can marry and younger parties may receive a license by reason of pregnancy or the birth of a child. Common law marriage is not recognized. Found on http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/marriage-basics/state-age-of-consent-laws.html

So according to this, No?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• move out of parents house? MAYBE. get married without consent? not likely- google state laws.

Getting married because you are having a baby is the absolute stupidest thing you could think of doing. I had my dd when I was 16- and ALMOST married her sperm donor... not a good idea, no matter how old you are.

In SOME states having a a child legally emancipates you once you are above the age of 15, in order to legally take your child's health care etc. under your own control. In those states you are also free and clear to move out of the house. I left home when I was 17, and never looked back. But I lived in an abusive home (where I would have been better off staying), and wound up in an even MORE abusive relationship. If you plan on keeping the baby, think about getting into a communal living program if you do not want to live with your parents. They offer schooling, child care, etc.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• nope
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Unless his butt is going into the military they have no business getting married right now...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I got married at 16 but I was not pregnant and I did have my mother's permission. My husband and I have sence had 2 children and we absolutely adore each other. Our marriage is strong and happy. That being said I don't recommend getting married just because you are pregnant nor do I encourage teens to get married because we are the exception, not the rule.

I would google your laws on emancipation. Many states consider a girl a "legal adult" when she becomes pregnant under age. If your state is one of these then you would be able to move out of your parents house and MIGHT be able to consent to your own marriage. Call a local attorney or the County Clerks office to ask them about the specific laws in your state. Many attornies will give you a free phone consultation so that you can ask your questions.

I grew up in a household like you described in your other post and I CAN tell you that I would NOT raise my child in that!
    Anonymous

• No. You still need parental consent.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I looked at a few different sources, and it looks like you might be able to get around parental consent if you have judicial approval.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 5:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Call the courthouse or an attorney and ask
    Anonymous