Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not getting paid for working?

Okay I dont know how to make this short and sweet but i will try...

SO had a job that he worked at for a couple of years. Hes been waiting on me to finish school. So the job is landscaping, its a govt contracted company. Since he started they have had them work a certain amt of hours and paid them for less. We have caught this a few times. Over the last year and a half its been well over $200 worth. He brought it to their attention, and they said he needed to check his time sheet, or not sign it. So he quit signing it, and still it contd. Finally during the off season with hours being so min. already they did it again, and he couldnt even afford the gas to get to work. so i told him he would have to quit. between daycare and gas, were paying for you to work!!
2 Weeks later, the head boss and 2 supervisors decided they cant run this summer without him. Should he bargain for a raise and go back. Mind you he was making 8.50!


Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • It will be hard to prove if he didn't keep a written calendar of what he worked. At 8.50 an hour I would look for another job, or them he needs a raise. He can probably start his own lawn care business and make more than that and then he can deduct mileage and supplies.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • OP Again...And we were going to file with the labor board, but after quitting didnt know if it would work. How do you prove they changed the time sheets?!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • $8.50 is not a lot of money, especially for a government job. I'm guessing he could make more money with a privately run landscaping company.

    It'll be SO's word against the company's. Could be difficult to prove, especially if they have good attorneys. You could try, though, for the principle of the thing. Good luck if you go this route.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

Next question in Money & Work
contact lens

Next question overall (Health)
Auditory Neuropathy