Has anyone ever been farther along than the doctor thought they were?

I've started having NSTs (Non stress tests). My first test was on Monday, they told me that I was contracting but I wasn't feeling it. The contractions were about 5 minutes apart each time. They wanted to give me Terbutaline to stop the contractions but earlier in the pregnancy I decided I would not have any drugs other than the epidural so I said no. My next NST was this past Thursday, again I was having contractions but not feeling them, this time they were two minutes apart. They checked me (as they did Monday) to see if I was dilated but I wasn't, they also did a hormone test this time to see if my body was releasing labor hormones, the test came back negative. My son is bigger than 76% of babies at this stage (33 weeks). I believe that my body is telling me it's almost time for real labor. I have started to think that I'm further along than originally thought. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I went through something like that with my first child. I was put on bedrest for a week, and the contractions stopped. I also didn't have any idea I was having contraction. My daughter ended up being born 30 minutes before her due date, so the early contraction had nothing to do with her being ready to be born earlier - I was just working too hard and needed to take a break.

You can't accurately date a pregnancy with ultrasounds that late in the pregnancy. Your baby measuring bigger than most babies at that stage likely only means he is big and not further along. If you had normal periods before you got pregnant and had prenatal care early in the pregnancy, that is when they would have determined your due date. Unless your periods were screwed up or you had some other reason to doubt your original due date, then your dates are likely correct.

Anonymous

• technically the dr is like at most 60 % right about a due date and how far along you are.. mine changed all the time.. and if every pregnancy is different then i believe in some cases.. if the body is ready .. a baby is suppose to be early.. but your body doesn't sound that way.. you shouldn't be contracting that much without the hormones and without dilating .. i think.. i would take the drugs.. and then if you start to dilate then don't take anything but 33 weeks is so early.. and just because he's a big boy doesn't mean that everything is developed and it doesn't mean he's ready to come out..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• doctors/midwives/nurses/ can only guess how far along you are. lots of times they are off by a couple of weeks this way or that way. it's also quite normal for your baby to be 75% bigger than other babies at that stage--25 % of babies are! why are you having all of the NSTs? it is extremely normal to have contractions in the 3rd trimester.
    Anonymous

• I'm having all of the NSTs because my son has a two-vessel cord.

Thankfully the contractions have stopped and I seem to be staying at the same dilation. Less than a month now until he's due so the doctors have stopped freaking out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2010