Transition to toddler bed?

So I started letting my son sleep in the toddler bed, he sleeps in it okay, esp at nap time. But if he wakes up in the middle of the night he runs straight to our room and cries until we put him back in bed. Last night i got so frustrated i put his bed right beside ours. How long did it take for your child to transition completely? Any advice? I cant keep losing out on sleep like this. Im exhausted! But i dont want to go back to the play pen days!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter was in a toddler bed at 11 1/2 months.. she did wonderfully and still does ...

sadly it sounds like he is already transitioned.. he is able to go to sleep without issue.. he just needs that comfort in the middle of the night.. maybe a bad dream.. maybe he wants to make sure your still there? maybe he cant get in bed himself... or get back to sleep by himself.. first get a step stool thing depending on how old he is so he can get back into bed by himself.. and get something that he can use to self sooth.. my now 13 1/2 month old has a alarm clock with the white noise sounds.. if she wakes up she's learned to push a button to start her noise and she goes back to sleep...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Why do people use toddler beds? I put my daughter from her crib to a twin bed. One side was against a wall the other had a rail. Rails are cheap. You just slide them under the mattress on the side so they don't fall out. She never once tried to get out of bed. I think part of it is because the bed is bigger she would have had to scoot way down to the bottom to get around the rail.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• our son did that every night for about 1 week, and it took about 2 weeks for him to stop doing it all together.
    We would just tell him to go back to bed and walk him back to bed and he would lay back down... now if he DOES get up he stays in bed.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• my son was in a toddler bed around 19 months old. He took to it right away! He cant reach the doorknob so we dont have to worry about him escaping yet, although sometimes if not closed all the way, he'll come into our room when he's up at morningtime. But if he's up in the middle of the night, and complaining, i go in there and rock him back to sleep. Sometimes he's just thirsty, or maybe had a bad dream and wants some company for a while. other than that we've had no problems
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• i just keep the door shut, he has always had the door shut. hes 15 months and has been in his toddler bed for a few weeks now. sometimes he will walk around a bit before naptime, but he always goes in his bed when he realizes hes not going anywhere and he remembers hes tired :). did he used to sleep all night?? we made sure our son slept all night every night for a few months before the toddler bed, that way we weren't worrying about him waking during the night. i'm sure he will come around, its a big change. GL
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 6:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2010