What to do about breastfeeding?

My baby is 11 months and only bf's once a day and i just don't know what to do anymore. Is she self weaning? She has been bfing like this for weeks now. What do i do? It's only in the middle of the night so it seems like a comfort thing but during the day i have to hunt her down and force it on her and she will only take the boob about one in four times for around a 30 sec, can i just be done? Its been like this for weeks and i know that she should bf for at least a year but at this point i am leaving for a friend's wedding for five days and can't take her with so she is staying home with the hubby. I feel this will wean her for good (which makes me a little sad) would it just be better do spend the next week before i leave weaning her with my husband so it won't be such a shock when i leave or just hope that my milk doesn't dry up while I'm gone (i pump but doesn't work well) and that she will still take the boob? HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you joined the breastfeeding moms group? Also visit http://www.kellymom.com/   you might want to look up nursing strike and related articles.        Go here:  http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html   

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• First of all congrats momma!

And it does sound like she's loosing interest... however, you shouldn't be feeding her at night.. after they start solids they are able to sustain from night time feedings..

I wouldn't force her if she doesn't want to then you don't have to .. let her come to you or enjoy the new freedom!
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Kellymom is a great resource! You can always just leave and she may resume nursing when you get back from her missing you so much. I wouldnt wean and then leave immediately afterwards though. Bring a pump just in case you get engourged when you are gone. I am sure she will want to nurse when you get back as kind of a way of having a reunion.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Jan0609momma

If she stops night feeds purposefully she will be encouraging weaning! That might be common advice to give to a formula feeding mother, but it is a death knell or sabotage for someone whose child is especially distracted during the day because of milestones and curiosity and so prefer to nurse during downtime.

Temporary loss of interest is common at an age where babies get easily distracted, especially during the day.

OP you can offer, but don't force. Definitely, go to kellymom and read up on nursing strikes!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• You can be done if you want, and if you want to continue, I'd offer more often.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• At that age, I was still offering the breast BEFORE meals so she wasn't too full of solids to nurse. She nursed first thing when she woke, then before each of the 3 meals and then once before bed. I didn't even try to nurse when she was busy playing. She never seemed distracted when it was time to nurse, but I think that is because it was a very consistant routine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• Offer before meals and then again after. Do not force it ever. It is likely a nursing strike not weaning. my DD did that around 12 months and she is still nursing at 32 months now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• I had to stop suddenly when my daughter was 11 months. My MIL passed away and my ex and I had to travel up for her funeral. We couldn't take the kids - my oldest has autism and would have been a terror on the plane, so they stayed with my mom. She was 11 months and not nursing very often either. I was only gone 3 days, but when we got back she was drinking well from a sippy cup and I decided not to force the issue. I had only planned on nursing her to 12 months anyway, so it was just a little early.

Answer by missanc at 7:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2010