Any success stories when using nutrition therapy/alternatives for ADHD?

Are there any success stories with your child when using nutrition therapy/alternatives? If so, for how long? My son's teacher and I saw HUGE improvements after 3 mos of the therapy. But, stupid me, I stopped one of his minerals without a thought. After a month of not taking this additional mineral, I started getting notes from his teacher, lack of focus and attention and all over the place. That's when it hit me, the timing between stopping the mineral and his regressing.

costa2

Asked by costa2 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (-10 Credits)
  • I tried the Fiengold diet with my daughter. It didn't help. I felt really bad, but them recently I read a study that said only 5% of ADHD kids respond to nutritional therapy. But if anyone has had success with something different I'd like to know too. I am open to alternatives because i don't want her medicated unless it's a last resort. I am not anti-medication. My sisters son is medicated and doing great. When the doctor asked him how he feels on it he said "thank you I now feel like I can think and be myself". It sometimes makes me wonder if I am doing her a disservice not medicating her. But her doctor doesn't feel it's time yet and niether do I.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

• We eat a plant-based, mostly organic, mostly whole foods diet (way beyond Feingold). My daughter takes hemp and magnesium supplements. She has also had behavioral therapy to help her use her ADHD, instead of pushing it away.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

• Thank you BlooBird and rkoloms for your response. I don't go as far as organic and whole foods but do work on cutting back on sugar, junk food and caffeine. Good idea to teach behavioral therapy to use the ADHD rather than push it away. How did you go about that? What does it teach?
    I understand your dilemma BlooBird. I don't want to medicate either and I am trying everything I can and I am not going to give up either. But if it comes right down to it, I will give it a whirl but it will be the absolute last resort, even if it is years from now.
    Thank you both again!
    costa2

Answer by costa2 at 8:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2010