Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a Pregnant 16 yr old move out of her parents house legally in the state of ohio??

Parents are addicted to pain killers.. her mother is bi-polar. can she move out legally ?? Her mother wants her ther so she can continue to get HUD and wants her to get a welfare check, but she is not allowed to have the money her mother wants to "keep" it for her and buy what she needs..


Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Stacey - You are the ridiculous one. I've seen you're other questions and talk about being out of touch from reality. LOL!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • You have already asked this and was told NO. Stop being a rediculous you have already made a big mistake, so don't make another one. Stay in you parents house, your still a child. Your going to need all the help that you can get. Marriage will be a huge mistake at your age, people should not marry just because they are pregnant, marriages like that usually don't last

    Answer by staceynoel at 1:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • Legally, no. The only way an under 18yo can move out of their house is if the parents agree and sign guardianship over to someone else or if the parents don't care if she's out off the house. I know this becausse we took in a 17yo in 2008, her parents had to sign guradianship over to us legally. She could have lived with us without it as long as her parents didn't care but we didn't want any legal loopholes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • Yes they can. My dd was 16 when she moved out with her child and she took her welfare check with her. I don't live in Ohio so can't answer for your state. I'd call welfare and ask them. They may know. You may need to file for Emancipation status. Contact Legal Aid and ask them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2010

  • Yes, she can. She would need to contact her local PA office and get all the details, but she can. At 16, no foster system will accept her, but if she can prove her parents incompetent she can be emancipated and move out of the home.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • I don't know what the laws are in Ohio. I can tell you that my cousin ran away when she was 16 and when my aunt and Uncle contacted the police. They were told that they would not bring her home because she was of age. This was a long time ago though so things may have changed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • She can get emancipate if she can prove her parents unfit.

    Answer by Moonwhispers at 3:04 AM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • i don't know about Ohio but in Chicago when a teen has a baby they are an emancipated minor and is considered an adult.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2010

  • If you don't know about Ohio, why are you answering?

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2010